Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory - Creative, academic environment and good work-life balance. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory

"Creative, academic environment and good work-life balance."

Current Employee - Associate Professional Staff I in Laurel, MD
Current Employee - Associate Professional Staff I in Laurel, MD

I have been working at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, good job security.

Cons

There is not very good age distribution overall. Some departments are almost exclusively young people, who could use the wisdom of more experienced engineers. Other departments are almost exclusively older people who could use some fresh ideas.

Advice to Management

Don't allow people to become lazy due to job security. It is more difficult to lose your job here than in private industry and people know it, for better or for worse.

Other Employee Reviews for Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory

1. "Interesting work, not a great environment"

Former Intern - Software Engineering Intern in Laurel, MD
    Former Intern - Software Engineering Intern in Laurel, MD

I worked at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

Even as an intern I was set up with my own office in a new building, which was very nice.

The older employees there are incredibly knowledgable about their respective fields, constantly giving out sage advice to their younger co-workers.

Cons

I was literally stuck in a basement lab without any windows doing my work every day. This environment bred disinterest and poor job performance. Recently however I know they've been doing construction on newer buildings which will hopefully help with this problem.

I was very young when I worked there, and the team I was working with was generally much older, which didn't help to create a good work atmosphere either. This may have been specific to just my department and group.

2. "Probably the best place to work for Aerospace Engineers"

Current Employee - Associate Professional Staff II in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Associate Professional Staff II in Washington, DC

I have been working at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

All the fun parts of the field, not too many of the boring parts. Work is highly specialized at the associate level and you don't often find yourself bogged down with paperwork. Much more powerpoint than word processing, so presenting your indepth analysis is not a soul-destroying essay.

Hours are great; rarely work over 40/week, and if you do wind up doing overtime, half of that is available as bonus leave the next pay period.

Did I mention they pay pretty well?

Cons

You're not paid like you're on wall street working a ninety hour week. Because you don't work a ninety hour week.

So don't expect a bonus, or a huge raise each year.

Advice to Management

Get Dr. Semmel out more to interact with us on an individual level. He's great.

Work at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory? Share Your Experiences

Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory