Johnson & Johnson - Great corporate culture and friendly atmosphere, but decentralized and inefficient | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Johnson & Johnson

"Great corporate culture and friendly atmosphere, but decentralized and inefficient"

Former Employee - Co-Op in Skillman, NJ
Former Employee - Co-Op in Skillman, NJ

Pros

There's a great corporate culture with credo values that are aligned throughout the company. Employees are willing to help each other out and there's a lot of collaboration within each department.

Cons

Politics are huge, being in a co-op position aka bottom of the food chain makes your relationship with your manager critical. Decentralized company so retrieving information from a different department can take weeks-I can't emphasize how much money the company is losing on pending requests alone.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. Disconnect between management and employees is causing diminishing employee morale which leads to lower performance. A little more standardization needs to be implemented. Stop acquiring so many companies when there's enough on your plate alone. The company is regressing to fire fighting.

Other Employee Reviews for Johnson & Johnson

"A great company with a rotten culture. Don't work there until they weed out all the incompetent middle management."

Former Employee - Associate Director in Horsham, PA
    Former Employee - Associate Director in Horsham, PA

Pros

Solid name on your resume
    Great benefits
    Leadership is accessible, even if the follow through isn't great
    Decent office locations

Cons

J&J has really changed in the last few years. I am very proud to have worked with J&J, but I'm disappointed in their current direction. J&J has moved away from its decentralized model, and they've done a poor job of promoting/retaining their best people.

My initial experience was excellent. We were acquired by J&J. They left us alone, and they provided the finanical capacity for us to make some investments that we could not have accomplished on our own. Then growth slowed at other J&J companies, and J&J began to restructure. Longtime J&J employees began getting hired at our company. In fact, our management was told that they needed to find positions for many of them. The old J&J people then brought their friends with them. The problem with this is that the J&J people didn't understand our business. The decision making process became over-complicated and confusing. One external consultant warned our team that J&J paralyzes itself with analysis.

J&J became a very tough place to work. New jobs were posted that weren't really available... they had already been promised to someone else. The J&J people in managment filled their teams with people they knew regardless of whether the person was competent for the position. I asked one of my peers (a longtime J&J guy) why he hired one of his district managers. I had interviewed her (at the request of the national sales director) and I found her to be incompetent. I didn't know him very well but he said she would do a great job. She was a disaster and so was he. They both finished dead last in the national sales standings, and the morale on their teams was completely destroyed. Despite how terrible she was, they promoted her back in house. Her boss blamed the sales team. I knew several members of the sales team... they were not the problem. Even the district manager's former sales colleagues said they knew she would be a disaster. Both she and her former boss are still with J&J. There is no accountability.

I was truly sad to leave the company. J&J has some truly outstanding products. It is a leader in healthcare, and they are very supportive of their communities. However, they've protected bad subsidiary managers for too long, and these people have surrounded themselves with equally bad people.

Before I left, I tried an experiment. I stopped doing any work, and I just spent my time in meetings and networking. To my surprise, I was offered several new jobs. I wasn't even qualified for one of them, but the VP wanted someone he knew. I will admit it was tempting, but I couldn't do it.

I'm told J&J monitors these boards, so I'm sure they'll put a black mark on my HR file for writing this. I truly hope the company changes. I'm very proud of my time there. I wish I could have made a career in the company, but the culture is decaying and they show no willingness to change it.

Advice to Management

I hope J&J will realize that they have too many people in positions that they aren't qualified for. # of years at J&J should not be a criteria for a job.

2. "not quite as commited to the patients and employees as they are to their share holders"

Former Employee - Staff Scientist in Raynham Center, MA
    Former Employee - Staff Scientist in Raynham Center, MA

Pros

Ok benefits, the pension and the work life balance.

Cons

Lack of sound managment leadership. Keep recyling employees from division to division so they don't have an influx of new blood with fresh and different ideas leading to a stagnant environment

Advice to Management

Hire from outside the company. Concider putting quality above profit.