Johnson & Johnson - The Pros and Cons of Working at a Large Company | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Johnson & Johnson

"The Pros and Cons of Working at a Large Company"

Former Employee - Engineering Intern in Cincinnati, OH
Former Employee - Engineering Intern in Cincinnati, OH

Pros

It is Large company with extensive resources, especially in Research and Development. Management provides extensive feedback regarding your job performance. Management was always extremely helpful regarding a work-life balance and giving time off during the summer and around holidays.

Cons

It is sometimes difficult to get things done because the company is so large. For example, getting software "pushed" to my work computer. This is probably due to the movement of IT to New Jersey.

While you technically work for Johnson & Johnson, you really only feel like you are working for the smaller "umbrella company". There is not much loyalty to J&J products other than the ones your company is working on. It is also very difficult to move within these "umbrella" companies unless you are in upper management.

Advice to Management

Facilitate more collaboration between other Johnson & Johnson companies.

Other Employee Reviews for Johnson & Johnson

1. "Great Co-Op experience"

Former Employee - Finance Co-Op in Fort Washington, PA
    Former Employee - Finance Co-Op in Fort Washington, PA

Pros

Great place to work, very friendly people. I started my co-op with no prior corporate work experience and enjoyed every minute of every day. Leaving the co-op was bitter sweat, it was between continuing to work at a great company or head back to the fun times to be had at college. I enjoyed going to work everyday, my whole team was extremely helpful. One on ones were a great insight into the potential work I will be doing once I graduate next spring. I still stay in contact with my former employees. Don't let an offer to work her pass you by.

Cons

Long hours, can get to be stressful especially for a new hire. Management and your supervisor helps you schedule your work if you become overloaded. Compensation for over time is time and half (double time for holidays if need be).

Sometimes other FLDPs may not know exactly what they want from the Co-Op and in that case the immediate supervisor should step in and help to work out the miscommunication between the FLDP and Co-Op.

Networking opportunities could have been presented to the co-op's earlier. Get to know the people you work with and sit around in the office! They are great resources.

Advice to Management

Get to know the new hires early on and make sure they know the line of communication is always open.

2. "bad economy is an excuse to treat employees poorly"

Pros

If you want the experience, the company will help you to get it.

Cons

Right now, the global banding process hurts some and praises others. How these decisions were made has not been communicated to those who were effected. The "be grateful you have a job" is the excuse J&J is using to make changes to policies that will only effect employees well being and not save the company any money

Advice to Management

Communicate the reasons and perhaps we would better understand.