Johnson & Johnson - No Place to be a Contractor | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Johnson & Johnson

"No Place to be a Contractor"

Former Contractor - IT Consultant in Raritan, NJ
Former Contractor - IT Consultant in Raritan, NJ

I worked at Johnson & Johnson as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Looks good on the resume. It is possible to make some contacts there since they hire a lot of contractors.

Cons

In the global IT building they created a separate "hotel" area for contractors to sit in. Fine, but the catch was that there were no assigned seats. So it was a mad dash every morning to find a chair that wasn't broken and a space to work.

Then there were monthly inspections where 2-3 people would come to each cube and see if you had personal things in view. If they saw anything deemed "personal" they'd take the items and throw them away. Calendars were taken down, stray pieces of paper, pads, etc. If I hadn't experienced it personally, I'd never have believed it was actually being done.

Contractors are not partners there. There's no sense of being part of a team or of having your contributions matter at all. But it was impossible not to be pulled into politics and petty squabbles that the management spends a lot of time being engaged in. Hard to show up everyday knowing your work doesn't matter, knowing your suggestions or advice will be unheeded (or sometimes negatively received).

There were no opportunities to learn or be part of anything. Pretty much you were just expected to show up, obey orders and not ask questions. And if you saw a problem, you weren't to mention it. If you did mention it, no one cared anyway because you were just a contractor. And let's not mention the lack of adherence to standards and regulations - which isn't so good if you're supposed to care about compliance.

This will probably seem exaggerated because it really does sound ridiculous. But not only is it true, but it's only a small part of what I saw go on there. Not sure what the issue is inside that place, but there are big problems.

Advice to Management

Take a hard look at what's going on throughout the ranks. Just don't listen to what the managers are telling you -- or believe those Powerpoint presentations that say everything is fine. It's not.

Other Employee Reviews for Johnson & Johnson

"Wonderful place to work in-name only"

Current Employee - Mfg Engineer in Irwindale, CA
    Current Employee - Mfg Engineer in Irwindale, CA

I have been working at Johnson & Johnson full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Name recognition. This place took off after JNJ bought out Biowebster. Great place to put on your resume. Great selling point to land the next career. Products are mature, though still have low mfg yield & serious compliant issues.

Cons

All co's have office politics but this place ranks near the ocean floor but still beat SpongeBob SquarePant. Stay low-key unless they call your name out. Dont complain. Just do the minimum not to get fired. The lobby is so tight; I am embarassed to show where I work to my networking suppliers. I could smell anti-perspirants or deodorants from visitors as soon as they walk in. Great for winters as it creates cozy & warm atmosphere:):):). The culture here is NO CHANGE. Dont fight with the old-timer big boys. They will find ways to get rid of you, F/T or contract making no difference. H.R ppl here are non-existent or useless. They never hear from you & you dont want to hear from them.

Advice to Management

Ask our Post office employees. They give some good advices on how to run a business:):):)

"Difficult company for contractors"

Current Contractor - IT Consultant in Raritan, NJ
    Current Contractor - IT Consultant in Raritan, NJ

I have been working at Johnson & Johnson as a contractor (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good resume builder, interesting projects

Cons

Like many companies, J & J is going to "leased employees". But as a general rule, these employees are treated as second class citizens. Little opportunity to get a permanent job, no training opportunities presented, exclusion from any company "fun" occasions. But still expected to have the same dedication as the "real' employees. For long-term contractors, this can be difficult.

Advice to Management

Be more inclusive of your contractors.