JoyTalk - Weird Company | Glassdoor

Employee Review

"Weird Company"

Current Employee - Teacher, Kindergarten
Current Employee - Teacher, Kindergarten

I have been working at JoyTalk full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company really helps you get set up at your school. Some of the staff is really great to communicate with about issues regarding the school of if you are sick. They have more of a community around the workers. Other companies don't really have that so it's nice to see. Honestly the best part is that they leave me alone for the most part. I have been working for a long time in Japan now and I know what I'm doing. It's nice to just be left to teaching without strangers coming into my room to watch or meetings etc. my school reports that my work is good and I'm left to my own devices.

The company does seem to care if you do have issues though. I know some others have gotten sick and the company went out of their way to help which was nice.

I've heard that they lie. This has not been my experience. (It could be true though) I was told I would receive a pay raise on my new contract. The pay raise matches what was told. Great. I was told I would work eight hours a day and eat lunch with the students. I do. I was told sometimes I have to come in on Saturday for cultural events. I have.

Cons

Management can be so unprofessional. It's shocking. One of the trainers said gross sexual things about a Japanese teacher at my school during training. Ok....
Training itself felt like a joke. It didn't help at all. I don't know what the point was. Sometimes when you have a question for management they tell you "that's a question for so-and-so." Then they give you that persons email. Why not just forward the email? What the heck? I know its small but it shows that they don't really know how to manage. Which is unfortunate because they are managers.
If I had to work with management often I would absolutely leave but I don't so it isn't a big deal for me.

The company pays less then other similar programs. Especially for Kindergarten teachers. Other companies pay more and offer better training for Kindergarten teachers who teach grapeSEED.

Advice to Management

The trainers should be trainers. I have not met a trainer at the company that I liked. They are all very rude and inappropriate.

Other Employee Reviews

Other Employee Reviews

"Kindergarten Teacher"

Current Employee - Bilingual Kindergarten Teacher in Utsunomiya-shi (Japan)
    Current Employee - Bilingual Kindergarten Teacher in Utsunomiya-shi (Japan)

I have been working at JoyTalk full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Attentive staff- The Japanese staff that helps you with your living situation is responsive and will help you when you’re feeling ill.

Pay is okay considering that you’ll be placed in the more rural areas.

Grapeseed opportunities with schools and the training was amazing.

Provides little involvement with school and it’s curriculum structure.

Cons

You’ll only get half your salary within the first 3 months if you sign in with an apartment.

The transfer you from one location to another for the benefit of the company.

Company training was so bad. The trainer didn’t look motivated and could’ve synthesized his presentation/content according to the individual he’s talking to. He was also racist to non Native passport holders.

Advice to Management

Please make more solid contracts for teachers to just remain in one location and raise the pay grade.

2. "Use for 1 year experience. Don't stay."

Current Contractor - ALT in Tochigi, Tochigi (Japan)
    Current Contractor - ALT in Tochigi, Tochigi (Japan)

I have been working at JoyTalk as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Easy to get hired. middle management are friendly and helpful.

Cons

Money grabbers. Shockingly bad pay. Shady practices. Wage theft. Useless training where they treat you like children. They look for any excuse to deduct pay. They allocated 5 of my paid holidays AFTER my visa expires! They shouldn't be allocating them at all. They deduct holiday pay and act like they're saints for even giving you anything at all.

Advice to Management

Pay people a decent salary and your staff might stay longer than one contract. Stop allocating holiday days. You have no right to do that.

Discover more reviews about JoyTalk.