Juniper Networks - Juniper Networks is one of the best companies in the valley. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Juniper Networks

"Juniper Networks is one of the best companies in the valley."

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Sunnyvale, CA

Pros

The people are smart across the board - engineering, marketing, operations, service, and management. The leadership is competent and ethical, and the Juniper Way is clearly and openly practiced. It's very hard to succeed as a jerk at Juniper - the organization doesn't tolerate abuse. The technology is amazing - this is the hottest stuff in the networking business. And the business itself is strong and growing. We don't spend our time worrying about competition - we create reasons for other companies to worry about us.

Cons

People are very serious, kind of boring at times. "Fun" at Juniper is a particularly elegant piece of code. Yikes.

Advice to Management

Don't forget how we got where we are now: the values of the Juniper Way, growing primarily organically rather than via the wrong acquisition, being engineering-driven.

Other Employee Reviews for Juniper Networks

1. "The 'Juniper Way' as a workplace differentiator is starting to have the prominence it deserves."

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Sunnyvale, CA

Pros

How you achieve results ('The Juniper Way') is considered at least as important as the results that are achieved. Juniper is also focused on developing high performance products with an environmentally sound footprint that gives customers a lot more long term value add than lesser offerings. This generates healthy margins, satisfied customers, and gives development engineers a very stimulating work environment.
    The people that work here across the regions are also consistently top notch and genuinely care about helping each other to succeed.

Cons

There are still some 'entrepreuneurial' business practices being followed within business units that should have matured and migrated to a more controlled and consistent way of doing business.

Advice to Management

Drive for more consistent working practices across the various product groups, then work on improving that baseline across the board.

2. "Juniper--good potential, nice people, and a good place to work"

Current Employee - Communications Specialist in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Communications Specialist in Sunnyvale, CA

Pros

Unlike many high tech companies in Silicon Valley (and I've worked for many of them) Juniper realizes that constant fire drills and chaining people to their laptops 24/7 = job and employee burnout. Juniper is a company that really seems to understand the concept of work/life balance. I'm sorry. I know that sounds very cliche, but it has actually been my experience in the 2+ years I have worked for this company. Also, the people of Juniper are just really nice to be around.

Cons

For all the ballyhoo made regarding the lofty goals and aspirations of the company, the corporate strategy remains a moving target. I just don't think that senior management (which has seen numerous changes) knows what they really want Juniper to be as a company or how they're actually going to get there. You just want to shake leadership by the throat and scream, "Make up your mind, figure it out and stick to it!" This is a company with great potential. It just needs clearer, more consistant leadership and direction.

Advice to Management

I taught scuba diving for many years. In the words of a dive instructor, to capsulize my thoughts above, I'd say "Plan your dive - then dive your plan." Stop changing your minds, pick a direction, plan how to get there and then execute on the plan. I am hoping Kevin Johnson can do this. But it's a little too soon to tell at this point.