Juniper Networks - service manager | Glassdoor

"service manager"

Current Employee - Service Manager in Sunnyvale, CA
Current Employee - Service Manager in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Juniper Networks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

easy job, great work-life balance

Cons

management, products and company performance

Advice to Management

focus on the customer

Other Employee Reviews for Juniper Networks

"Disappointing, Short-Sighted and Parochial Senior Management Destroys Morale & Causes Turnover"

Former Contractor - Senior Program Manager in Remote, OR
    Former Contractor - Senior Program Manager in Remote, OR

I worked at Juniper Networks as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Working at home is a definite plus and the people I worked with are skilled and nice to work with and will go the extra mile. It used to be a fun place to work.

Cons

Senior Management is bringing the company down. They make selfish decisions that knowingly cause unnecessary work for the working managers, causing ripple effects throughout the organization and with zero or negative benefit.

They also waste a major amount of money on unnecessary outside services that provide a tiny bit of information about a small part of the company's profitability so the finance VP can manually input this magic number in a monthly report. However, this number is easily obtained by using the current MS Project system to compute Earned Value - but this VP prefers to pay over $300K per year as a personal calculator. He didn't want to know about saving money that could be used to pay salaries.

The workflow in the department I worked in as a contractor was in major turmoil, with two managers and a director all confused who was supposed to run it and how it should be structured. This lasted a week until the director was let go and the remaining boss relied on me to do its job because s/he was busy with personal life, so I did its job, won a huge contract for the company and s/he took all the credit for our team's hard work and even failed to acknowledge our contribution.

Too bad s/he laid off the team members before getting the passwords for the automated program management dashboard system we designed.

The president made a few poor decisions, which panicked the market and drove the stock price down, so they immediately fired all of their contractors (with work unfinished) and got rid of lots of senior staff in buyouts (it was either that or get fired), so the efficiency and production immediately suffered, I would guess $3M+ work of contractor fee-based work may have been thrown out, but they probably charged it off or something equally impossible to comprehend.

Advice to Management

When you are interviewing, ask the managers about what is the worst aspect of working there and determine whether s/he might be uncomfortable in telling the truth. Also ask if they felt as though their boss acted like they were "mind-readers" - always a bad sign.

"Under pays and overloads"

I worked at Juniper Networks full-time

Pros

There are some good managers who care for their reports.

Cons

Too much work with too few people
    Management is horrible. They do not care for employees and always care for their personal benefits.
    Exec team always makes more than 100% bonus even if the revenues are below market expectations where as individual contributors get way less than their target bonus even with exceptional performance.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees and get their feedback on their managers. Dont depend on email surveys talk to them personally.