Juniper Networks - My view on juniper's security product lines | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Juniper Networks

"My view on juniper's security product lines"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Sunnyvale, CA
Current Employee - Senior Manager in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Juniper Networks full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I've been working on security products for 10 years at juniper. It gave me great experience in how to design highly scalable, highly available firewalls.

Cons

It seems the company leadership team put product integration as top priority after aquiring netscreen. Therefore it slowed down on real innovations for security products. It is now facing big challenge from new players e.g. startup companies like paloalto networks who pioneered next gen firewall etc.

Advice to Management

After a new product line was added through acquisition, integration with other existing technologies originally designed for other products may not be the beet strategy. At least, it has to also focus on true innovation!

Other Employee Reviews for Juniper Networks

"Love my manager, terrified of layoffs"

Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Juniper Networks full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

If you have a respectful, intelligent, technically competent manager, as I do, you are in a good position. Juniper has a very flexible telecommute policy and your manager has a lot of power over your PTO, so prove to your manager that you can do high-quality work without being micromanaged and you are good to go. I work in a group where we all have very different technical strengths, so we'd all take a bullet for each other -- we depend on each other to do the different parts of the job that our group is collectively responsible for.

Cons

Oh my God, layoffs happen four times a year now. Guaranteed laypffs in November so the cost-cutting will make the yearly report look good; Pretty certain layoffs in March or April so the half-year report will look good as well; and low-profile culling most quarters to .. meet short-term expense goals? I guess. Certainly not to get rid of deadwood, because there still are a lot of idiots around.

And reorgs oh just stop it, guys, STAHP. IT. We can't do our dang work if you keep doing the musical chairs thing. Who do we report to this week and what's the current management slogan? I have actually stopped paying attention because it's so disheartening to see all the effort that goes into shuffling the same pieces around the board again and again.

Also. The current plan to move us all into two buildings is ok. I understand: cost-cutting, co-location, yeah, sure. But for the love of all that is holy, do NOT do this thing called ... Dynamic Flexible Workspace or something. It means, no assigned cubicles. I want my own cubicle with pictures of my family and I want to know where to find the people I need. I don't want to sit in someone else's crumbs from yesterday and stare at a blank wall. I am really discouraged right now that a company that used to be so employee-friendly is going to be herding us all into giant kindergarten rooms with not even eye-level cubicle walls to call our own.

Advice to Management

Would you please quit reorganizing. Just pick a direction and stick to it. And find someone to run IT who has a clue about what IT is supposed to do. Juniper IT is so dysfunctional that it's a legend even outside the company -- when I talk to people from other companies and mention IT, they roll their eyes and laugh.

I hope Shaygan, new CEO, can turn things around, but frankly I think he's just grooming the company for a takeover. Fine, do it. Maybe we can get some direction then.

"Very good company"

Pros

Benefit and flexible working hour

Cons

Project takes long develop cycle. Junos review cycle takes long.

Advice to Management

Execution might have problem.