KIT digital - Solana Beach office is great and a good place to work | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for KIT digital

"Solana Beach office is great and a good place to work"

Current Employee - Developer in Solana Beach, CA
Current Employee - Developer in Solana Beach, CA

I have been working at KIT digital full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The Solana Beach office works independently from the rest of the company, which is great. We focus on our clients, and do a fantastic job, and they love us. Our paychecks are basically written by our clients, so we're well funded, even when KIT is under financial turmoil.

Cons

KIT digital's global business has been unstable for several months, and has undergone massive restructurings. The Solana Beach office typically ignores these issues, and continues on working, but occasionally it just slows us down. These issues have also led to financial cutbacks, such as fewer company parties and outings.

Other Employee Reviews for KIT digital

1. "Solid management, solid process, fun environment, good work/life balance"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Solana Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Solana Beach, CA

I have been working at KIT digital full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Management has their act together. Although previously that was not the case, the team in place now is solid and gives me confidence that this company is moving in the right direction. There is an entirely new financial team, which is critical. KIT's agile development processes are very solid, as are the project management processes. I have learned a great deal. The work environment is really fun too. There's no micromanagement and people are empowered to get their work done without a lot of oversight. Lastly, the work/life balance is very much respected. The new KIT is very different than the old KIT.

Cons

KIT's reputation remains a little tarnished from the actions of past management, but that will change over time.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. I love working here.

"Lacks Vision, Respect and Leadership"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

+ Ability to Travel Globally
    + Smart and Capable Peers
    + Competitive Salary Compensation
    + Health, Dental and Vision Benefits

Cons

- Poor Communication and Leadership
    - Lack of Vision
    - Poor respect for employees and delegating responsibilities
    - Poor integration of acquired companies.
    - Poor Working environments at non-executive locations.
    - Acquired companies self implode due to the above issues.

Advice to Management

1) Stop acquiring companies strictly to get them on your roster until you can figure out a way to integrate them in such a way that you can maintain the same working environment they enjoyed prior to acquiring them.

2) Communicate and be honest with your team and your customers. KIT flies by the seat of its pants, not knowing the implications of the decisions they make.

3) Let technologists make technology decisions. Executives should not be making decisions at the technology or product level.

4) Be respectful and honest to employees. Treat them as if they were a customer and please them in every manner possible. Doing so will improve the overall mood, increase productivity and help clarify the overall vision.

5) Pick a path and stay on it! So many projects have been shelved because the executive team felt that some newly acquired product would do the job better and faster. But in reality, you are really just further delaying the end result. Where as if you were to have a complete understanding of how the current phase of the project is progressing you would see that the light at the end of the tunnel is not too far away.

6) Act as a team! KIT operates in Silos, and those silos dont have a way to communicate nor have direction from any leadership to do so. The executives need to see others in the company no matter their title or rank as equals. They should eb reaching out an validating their ideas from the people who are down in the ditches rather than the other members of the board.

7) Look at successful companies as an example of how to treat customers and employees. Look at Apple, Google, Facebook, Twitter, Ooyala, Foursquare, etc. These are all companies that put people before profit, doing so will inevitably lead to success and profits.