KPMG - Great place to build a career...if they let you finish it there. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for KPMG

"Great place to build a career...if they let you finish it there."

Former Employee - Senior Associate in Montvale, NJ
Former Employee - Senior Associate in Montvale, NJ

I worked at KPMG full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A few years ago the company was great on work/life balance, employee satisfaction (as evidenced by their survey approval ratings) and community service. The atmosphere was great and it was a fun place to work. My former colleagues and I would even schedule community service activities and use our 12 paid hours to go out and help others, which was a great feeling. I am giving 4 stars overall because I couldn't choose 3.5 and also based on the fact that I learned a lot of things in my time there. The people are very talented people, and most of them are very nice...I found some good friends here so that bumps it up to 4 instead of down to 3.

Cons

Eventually, things started to change. The work/life balance disappeared...this all started with round, after round, after round, after round of layoffs and outsourcing. The office topic became about "who was working until midnight last night" or "who worked this weekend." Silly office politics started to come into play and people eventually seemed to forget how to smile.

Advice to Management

Recognize the talent of your employees. Stop looking to make the review process ever more difficult and stop playing silly office politics and giving better reviews to people who do less work but are favorites for whatever subjective reason. Some people here work very hard and are overlooked, overworked and are the ones that are usually given crap while others are allowed to coast by. Be fair to everyone and show more appreciation for your employees. And for crying out loud, remember to have fun! A dull workplace makes for a poor workplace.

Other Employee Reviews for KPMG

1. "Difficult, team-building experience with wonderful mentors."

Former Employee - Audit Associate in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Audit Associate in Nashville, TN

I worked at KPMG full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Exposure to various industries, wonderful guidance from seniors, broad variety of tasks given.

Cons

Sometimes work can be methodical. Was assigned to clients outside of main city -- was difficult on personal life.

Advice to Management

Assign associates challenges rather than preparing workpapers.

"Not a great environment...."

Former Employee - Audit Associate in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Audit Associate in Detroit, MI

I worked at KPMG full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Exposure to large / high profile clients. Good resume builder if you're looking to exit to financial reporting or internal audit.

Cons

- Work life balance non-existent with absolutely no control over hours or travel schedule regardless of how efficient you are.
    - Bonuses are pathetic compared to industry.
    - All the best people leave to take higher paying jobs in industry so the Managers / Sr. Managers that are running engagements don't what they're doing and are inefficient.
    - Inefficient staffing (i.e., 5 staff sitting on the bench for weeks on end while others at the same level are working 80 hour weeks).
    -The work itself is boring and doesn't add value. Too many checklists. No opportunity to create something from scratch. The results of your work will not influence decisions in any way (this applies both interally - KPMG management, and externally - the client management)

Advice to Management

-The "working-until-midnight-makes-me-a-star" thinking has to change. The true stars are the ones that could pump out the work in 30 hours and call it a day.
    - Promotions should be based on merit / efficiency, not a rigid tenure system.
    - Total comp is in a very small band for each position, encouraging people to coast along knowing there's no real reward for working hard