KPMG - Very conservative, risk-adverse, "button-up" organization | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for KPMG

"Very conservative, risk-adverse, "button-up" organization"

Current Employee - Senior Associate in New York, NY
Current Employee - Senior Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at KPMG full-time (More than a year)

Pros

KPMG is one of the "big four" so there are natural advantages of being part of this large matrixed organization with cross-functional, cross-geography and in-depth focus across industries. The leadership generally truly seems to care about the employees and the commitment to diversity and the community are there (at least on paper).

Cons

KPMG is a good place for Tax and Audit professionals. While Advisory is the largest source of growth, it's lagging in terms of the organizational commitment - this might be a good place for Advisory in 3-5 years as the practices mature.

Advice to Management

Less hierarchy would help retention and engagement

Other Employee Reviews for KPMG

1. "Internship Experience"

Former Intern - Audit Intern in Denver, CO
    Former Intern - Audit Intern in Denver, CO

I worked at KPMG as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Willing to invest in your growth.

Cons

Extensive hours commitment as an intern.

"Great place to build a career...if they let you finish it there."

Former Employee - Senior Associate in Montvale, NJ
    Former Employee - Senior Associate in Montvale, NJ

I worked at KPMG full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A few years ago the company was great on work/life balance, employee satisfaction (as evidenced by their survey approval ratings) and community service. The atmosphere was great and it was a fun place to work. My former colleagues and I would even schedule community service activities and use our 12 paid hours to go out and help others, which was a great feeling. I am giving 4 stars overall because I couldn't choose 3.5 and also based on the fact that I learned a lot of things in my time there. The people are very talented people, and most of them are very nice...I found some good friends here so that bumps it up to 4 instead of down to 3.

Cons

Eventually, things started to change. The work/life balance disappeared...this all started with round, after round, after round, after round of layoffs and outsourcing. The office topic became about "who was working until midnight last night" or "who worked this weekend." Silly office politics started to come into play and people eventually seemed to forget how to smile.

Advice to Management

Recognize the talent of your employees. Stop looking to make the review process ever more difficult and stop playing silly office politics and giving better reviews to people who do less work but are favorites for whatever subjective reason. Some people here work very hard and are overlooked, overworked and are the ones that are usually given crap while others are allowed to coast by. Be fair to everyone and show more appreciation for your employees. And for crying out loud, remember to have fun! A dull workplace makes for a poor workplace.