KQED - Good people, but work environment feels stuffy... | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for KQED

"Good people, but work environment feels stuffy..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at KQED part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I only have experience on the 2nd floor (TV production, program distribution, communications). Met some really wonderful people at my time with KQED. Everyone is pretty passionate about public media. Shuttle from BART is pretty great.

Cons

Started as an intern and transitioned into a part-time position. Unfortunately, this isn't the case for most. Most of the other interns don't see long-term futures with the company. My time was also limited due to funding and, honestly, never really finding a good fit for my skill sets.

Advice to Management

Bring in more young people with energy to enliven the at-time drab climate, but keep those that have contributed vibrant energy for a long time!

Other Employee Reviews for KQED

"The dirty laundry within"

Former Contractor - Reporter in San Francisco, CA
    Former Contractor - Reporter in San Francisco, CA

I worked at KQED as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

When at it's best, public radio reporting is fulfilling and fun

Cons

As with many public radio stations, the management at KQED is managerially deficient. Most are old reporters with no management background and no training outside of a public radio context. This manifests in the form of poor communication of expectations, priorities and strategy. Emotional outburts and passive aggression are common. There's a glaring disconnect between externally projected "public radio" values and the internal reality. The most egregious example is how KQED keeps many workers on as contractors, sometimes for years on end.

Advice to Management

Learn how to back up your reporters. We didn't chose this line of the work for the money, and certainly not to be embroiled in endless office politics. If we wanted that, we could go elsewhere and be paid more. Many of us do. Reward employees who go the extra mile, by working late, voluntarily writing up training manuals, etc. Many people at KQED feel unappreciated and abused.

"They do really care about employees"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at KQED full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Tons of PTO, great work/life balance, and low-stress environment. Very comprehensive health insurance (though you pay ~30% of the premium). Most employees are very passionate about the organization and its product.

Cons

Employee passion can translate into lower salaries. Raises are difficult to come by due to tightly controlled HR/review protocal. Though some employees are very successful at moving to different departments, others have had difficulty or are at a salary disadvantage when moving internally. My department was never allowed to work from home or flex hours--this is not the case in the whole organization.

Advice to Management

Love the PTO. Some consideration of how to develop and retain talent is probably due.