KQED - KQED - great community service, smart media company | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for KQED

"KQED - great community service, smart media company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at KQED full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

KQED is one of the most innovative public media organizations in the United States. It brings both NPR and PBS to the Bay Area, and creates extensive original content. It has offices in San Francisco and Silicon Valley.

Cons

As a non-profit, it doesn't have extensive research and development funds.

Other Employee Reviews for KQED

"Good mission, friendly learning environment"

Former Intern - TV Production Intern in San Francisco, CA
    Former Intern - TV Production Intern in San Francisco, CA

I worked at KQED as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

The people at KQED are generally very nice and welcoming about explaining what they do. Most people are well-educated and well-connected in the community. Good learning environment. Nice shuttle to/from BART. Co-workers have a healthy work/life balance, supportive of schedule conflicts and understanding about illness.

Cons

Nearly everyone here is middle-aged. I went to a producers meeting and every producer was at least 40. The computer-based training went so slowly.

For interns, little chance of being hired at the end of the term. Also, no pay, stipends, or transportation stipends. Gives us the impression that non-profit work doesn't pay.

Advice to Management

Hire more young people. There's hardly anyone under 30 at KQED - no doubt the middle-aged staff is very hip, but it would be more welcoming for younger people looking into working at KQED.

"Good people, but work environment feels stuffy..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at KQED part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I only have experience on the 2nd floor (TV production, program distribution, communications). Met some really wonderful people at my time with KQED. Everyone is pretty passionate about public media. Shuttle from BART is pretty great.

Cons

Started as an intern and transitioned into a part-time position. Unfortunately, this isn't the case for most. Most of the other interns don't see long-term futures with the company. My time was also limited due to funding and, honestly, never really finding a good fit for my skill sets.

Advice to Management

Bring in more young people with energy to enliven the at-time drab climate, but keep those that have contributed vibrant energy for a long time!