Kaiser Permanente - Engineering is better than expected | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Kaiser Permanente

"Engineering is better than expected"

Current Employee - Web Developer in Oakland, CA
Current Employee - Web Developer in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Kaiser Permanente full-time

Pros

Positive work environment. I think people (myself included) feel good about providing useful health management tools. Team is mostly very good -- some surprising talent there. Good pay/benefits. Good work-life balance.

Cons

Limited holidays. Engineering shares space with business which makes no sense (engineers need to concentrate -- hard to do when people frequently talk around you). Slight disconnect between business and engineering with respect to expectations and development cycle (it's agile on a 2-week cycle, but business sometimes thinks their requests should be immediately implemented.

Advice to Management

Consider reducing 60% contractor ratio. I realize you must consider this a cost-saving tactic, but I think there are hidden costs to this approach which aren't easily quantifiable. You presumably supported the switch to agile, so please respect the necessity of sticking to the cycle -- 2 weeks really isn't that long to wait for a new feature. :-)

Other Employee Reviews for Kaiser Permanente

1. "Opportunity for growth. Allowed to excel."

Current Employee - Senior Elearning Instructional Designer in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Elearning Instructional Designer in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Kaiser Permanente full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent health plan. Overall job security. Country-wide enterprise provides for opportunity to advance career. Company is committed to employee health and work / life balance.

Cons

Typical troubles found in all large corporations. Size of corporation precludes ability to be nimble. Too large a middle management structure. In-fighting and ivory tower syndrome.

Advice to Management

Continue to increase and enhance communication ability, particularly between departments. The individual needs to be able to see the big picture and grasp why it's important to them.

"I can't believe anyone would write a positive review about this company"

I have been working at Kaiser Permanente full-time

Pros

Not working here or applying for their insurance

Cons

Everyone who works in management is deceptive, malicious and does everything they are told no matter what it does to the patient/employee.

Advice to Management

Actually do what is right and don't become a robot