Kaiser Permanente - Very happy working for kaiser! | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Kaiser Permanente

"Very happy working for kaiser!"

Current Employee - Admitting Representative in Sacramento, CA
Current Employee - Admitting Representative in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Kaiser Permanente part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Kaiser provides a wonderful service to its members having all medical services under one roof so to speak. I have found that patients are able to be treated faster and more accurately with this system. As an employee, knowing we provide a better service to our members makes for a positive outlook. Kaiser pays very well, and provides exceptional medical benefits to its FT and PT employees. There are lots of other benefits such has vacation time, sick leave, education leave that make working there even more rewarding. I have also made many many friends throughout the Kaiser network.

Cons

In my experience at Kaiser, the hardest thing to deal with has been the fact that there is hardly any accountability for employees who are not performing up to par. This is partly due to the fact that many areas are union, which makes disciplinary action difficult. This issue can be a bit of a drag for other employees, and can affect members/patients as well.

Other Employee Reviews for Kaiser Permanente

"Don't believe the Hype!"

Current Employee - Product Manager in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Kaiser Permanente full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fair benefits--although they bundle sick and vacation which is not a great offering, Also they have a fair amount of outside of work discounts like gym memberships. Desk ergonomic options are great and available--so take advantage and seating is often very crowded. Values are fantastic but.....BIG but they don't translate. THRIVE is wonderful but its an ideal customer they seek rather than a culture they foster. The Thrive patient is healthy and is independently managing their health--which is great because getting more than 15 min in front of a gatekeeper Dr. is as easy to manifest as an act of God. Nice matching in 401K and retirement but you have to be there 5 years and very few people--stay the course except the ones well over 12 years in--seems they have resigned themselves.

Cons

Very politically run company. All parts work separately from HQ because of the politics and as such-- very disparate. Management is not transparent at all. They will work you to death. Do not allow or acknowledge partner family death as time for grieving nor for taking time to attend services. Pay is extremely low-end and they will do everything they can not to negotiate with you.

Advice to Management

Transparency! Practice what you preach and if you are going to work your employees to death then separate sick and vacation days. 401k vesting at 2 years as few stay for all 5.

"Love it! Hope to retire from here."

Current Employee - Marketing in Burbank, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing in Burbank, CA

I have been working at Kaiser Permanente full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great mission that builds on its roots and commitment to what's right. Financially conservative in some ways, which leads to relative job stability. People here truly care.

Cons

Management in marketing is not so great. Many poor hiring decisions at executive level have led to turnover at mid-to-senior level management level. Mid-level management misbehavior is tolerated too long without being addressed. Staff feels lack of vision, other than that we need to save money and work more efficiently.

Advice to Management

Give equal value to seasoned ("legacy") folks and newer folks with varied experience. The old way alone will no longer work, but moving forward without valuing historical knowledge will sink us. Truly empower us and don't treat us like children with management theory cliches (this mesage to a select few)