Kaiser Permanente - Kaiser was a fast paced highly technical environment. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Kaiser Permanente

"Kaiser was a fast paced highly technical environment."

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at Kaiser Permanente as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Career growth in areas perhaps not worked in the past. Working within the healthcare industry is a very up-and-coming industry with the proliferation of Electronic Health Records now in the federal healthcare, as well as the commercial healthcare industry. Job opportunities are becoming more and more prevalent, although somewhat specialized on healthcare application and claims processing knowledge.

Cons

On-boarding is quite the challenge for any newcomer, especially one with limited healthcare operational application background, but say with a solid IT experience and and sets of skills. The environment, however, is moving in the direction of employing standards across the enterprise, but is not there yet. There are a number of "one-off" ways of performing project implementations depending on location and direct management preferences, which makes for lots of duplication of efforts as a PM.

Advice to Management

Continue working on standardization of project implementation processes. Add a consistent and comprehensive CBT education program for newcomers with limited Kaiser technical enterprise experience during the ramp up period, which can be referenced throughout ramp up.

Other Employee Reviews for Kaiser Permanente

1. "Overall, interesting and rewarding"

Former Employee - Clerk III
    Former Employee - Clerk III

I worked at Kaiser Permanente full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

My last boss was totally terrific, and her predecessor was also excellent. Both are caring, compassionate women, totally different in personality and outlook, but very knowledgeable about their field.

Cons

Supervisors and some management who covered for each other and did not root out problems which caused the clerical and some of the field staff to inundate HR with transfer requests.

Advice to Management

Make sure the supervisors and management work for and with each other to provide THEIR staff with support and understanding; assume the clerks are intelligent enough to do their jobs without having to micromanage them. That makes for an unhappy staff, and since the first contact with the departments are with the clerks, the best impressions are given to the public if they are happy with their jobs. Also, upper management could work a little better with the union(s) and not project an "us against them" attitude. Granted, the unions tended to be militant for the first several years I worked there and I fault them for that, but later, after they settled down a bit and were easier to work with, the general feeling I got from them that it was still "us versus management," not "us working together with management to produce the best possible contract for the employees, both professional and clerical."

2. "Great company to work with if you are ok to deal with bureaucracy and slow moving pace"

I have been working at Kaiser Permanente full-time

Pros

Very diverse company, a lot of opportunities to work in different platforms, job security, pension plan, great benefits.

Cons

very slow moving company, lot of bureaucracy, you may stuck with this company for your entire career.

Advice to Management

Get rid of duplicate processes, get rid of bureaucracy and stop wastage in IT spending