Kaiser Permanente - I wouldn't do it again, knowing now what I didn't know then | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Kaiser Permanente

"I wouldn't do it again, knowing now what I didn't know then"

Former Employee - Clinician in San Diego, CA
Former Employee - Clinician in San Diego, CA

I worked at Kaiser Permanente full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I thought it was good at first, as pay was good. I had a couple of really excellent supervisors. (I worked there 10 years). I believed in the idea of preventive care and education available, and thought that quality could be achieved. There are some really great people, working under really tough circumstances.

Cons

Some of the worst management I've experienced in over 30 years of work! I also feel like they spend more on marketing than on patient care, and corners are always cut. The marketing is like a monster, and not even accurate. It's very management and administratively TOP-Heavy! The politics are insane and too much power is in the hands of the wrong people. Partners do pretty well, but are often overworked. There seems to be some shady stuff going on, and a lot of lip service, but the experience isn't what it seems. Crummy managers get promoted as long as they butter up those above them. Needs more emphasis on patient care and less on numbers and faulty information. Not enough transparency. Some of the unions are too involved in what doesn't matter, and not involved enough in what does. It's hard to main pride and respect when one sees hypocrisy and two-faced behaviors.

Advice to Management

Know your staff. Spend time with them and let their assets shine. Neither patients nor people are made from cookie cutters, so allow reasonable leeway. Reduce the number of meetings. Focus on medicine and not on red tape, papers, reports, and bad data. Trust your employees unless they give you reason not to. Stop "bullying". Stop gossiping. Care. Support your staff and don't scold or blame them. We know there is pressure from on high, but look at the bigger picture. Don't micro-manage, especially among independent, advanced, learned staff. Merit should count more than seniority. It should be easier to get rid of bad employees; Good ones aren't always well protected.

Other Employee Reviews for Kaiser Permanente

"I am so thankful for what I learned but the expectations on manangement need to be evaluated."

Former Employee - Clinical Supervisor in Martinez, CA
    Former Employee - Clinical Supervisor in Martinez, CA

I worked at Kaiser Permanente full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Large network of resources and great benefits. High pay but way too many hours.

Cons

.No real HR to assist management, union issues are constant and ongoing with no real way to have life-work balance. Having to follow disciplinary action with staff even when it is the most trivial issue. Lack of team work accompanied by finger pointing providing a negative feeling within the team. Lack of equal division of work. Some management employees do nothing while others get project after project given to them. An example would be one manager getting to arrange the xmas party and another doing additional reports.

Advice to Management

Upper leadership needs to stop making rules for lower management when they have no idea what is going on.
    The unions are an issue for 2 reasons. The first is that management is not allowed to be honest and the second is that there is huge distrust that has existed for years.

"Great company, little work/life balance"

Current Employee - Marketing Communications Manager in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing Communications Manager in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Kaiser Permanente full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits.
    Good salary
    Great organizational mission and brand

Cons

Long hours
    Lots of restructuring
    Regular budget cuts
    Highest Sr. level VPs not connected to employees
    Some managers rule with fear

Advice to Management

Remember your employees are people first. If you treat them with respect the will work harder than if they are afraid of you.