Kaiser Permanente - Overall Good Experience; Bad Apples Spoil The Bunch | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Kaiser Permanente

"Overall Good Experience; Bad Apples Spoil The Bunch"

Pros

Pay, benefits, flexibility, and potential for career advancement.

Cons

I actually have a fairly good job, am getting paid the most I ever have in my working career, and have an excellent relationship with my supervisor. However, the problems lie with the union rules making it hard to fire bad employees. I am one of the good apples among a bunch of rotting fruit. About 95% of my coworkers have worked at Kaiser for more than 10 years and have become lazy, immature, miserable, constant complainers who treat people like crap and act like the office is a high school classroom instead of a workplace. Most of them are also not trying to change their situation, but will gripe about any changes that take place within Kaiser or our department that does not directly benefit them somehow.

With that, my supervisor and union representatives highly encourage employees to use the education benefits that are offered to us. So, if one does wish to transition out of his or her current position into another one within Kaiser, all one has to do is go back to school, pick a major that is of interest, let Kaiser pay for the majority of it, and move forward.

Working in the type of atmosphere I described in the first paragraph can be discouraging and cause low morale; however, I continue to do above and beyond my best. My supervisor is not to blame, as managers and supervisors can't immediately get rid of the bad employees or hold back their raise due to union rules. If it were just myself and the other employees who actually do the work that we were hired to do and my supervisor in the office, I would LOVE IT, and give Kaiser five stars!

Aside from all this, the company has been focusing quite a lot on staying healthy and also giving rewards to employees for maintaining good health/practicing healthy behaviors, which is more than any other company for which I have worked, so I give them a thumbs up for that.

Overall, I think Kaiser is a good company to work for, just need a better system to get rid of the slackers.

Advice to Management

Work harder to get rid of bad employees and get them out as fast as you can!

Other Employee Reviews for Kaiser Permanente

1. "My experience is great. The sky is the limit!!"

I have been working at Kaiser Permanente full-time

Pros

a lot of opportunities are given. since the beginning of my career here, I have been supported to grow.

Cons

Still growing, especially in the regions, outside of the CA region. As the other regions continue to build like the CA region.

Advice to Management

Take a chance on young, dedicated employees.

2. "great company"

Current Employee - Pharmacy in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Pharmacy in Portland, OR

I have been working at Kaiser Permanente full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

benefits, culture, service, salary, long term

Cons

upward mobility, many rules, complex business role model.