Kaiser Permanente - I enjoy my job, it is very interesting and allows me to help patients, families, staff members, and physicians. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Kaiser Permanente

"I enjoy my job, it is very interesting and allows me to help patients, families, staff members, and physicians."

I have been working at Kaiser Permanente full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Stressful at times, dealing with difficult people.

Cons

This is an intense job with a significant amount of responsibility but I "Thrive" on this type of an environment.

Other Employee Reviews for Kaiser Permanente

"Hard to find passion in a place that isn't passionate about you"

Former Employee - Human Resources Representative
    Former Employee - Human Resources Representative

I worked at Kaiser Permanente full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The best part of KP is what they do for the community and members. The programs created to encourage people on taking care of themselves is superb. They have wonderful Physicians and Community Benefit professionals who give back ten fold. The Employee Resource groups are amazing and really promote the importance of professional and personal growth. There are many talented individuals who work hard to get their message across and help others succeed.

Cons

There is little to no room for growth for minorities in this organization. Unfortunately, preferential hiring and promotion runs abundant in this organization. The company tends to be less focused on talent and more on politics. Putting people in roles where they aren't the most efficient, just so they can please the higher ups. Backdoor reference, backdoor hiring, you name it, it's the culture here. There are some extremely talented minorities that work for this organization, that don't get the exposure to key projects and roles. HR in particular doesn't develop their employees, which is ironic. Year end reviews are more of an opportunity to justify why increases and bonuses won't be dispersed vs helping the individual grow and develop in their careers. Truly talented people have left this organization and flourished elsewhere. And with no exit interview strategy in place, there is no way for Management to know how to improve this.

Advice to Management

Your organization has potential to be a world class organization. But you need to pay attention to your hiring practices. Hold Hiring Leaders accountable for their actions, stop cutting HR/Recruitment budgets and hire more talented individuals that can sustain your mission. Help hungry employees develop, listen to their feedback and ideas, allow them to contribute more frequently. Stop creating new processes without the input of those in the front line. Create a more diverse talent pipeline for your leadership structure. Promote those who are truly talented vs the ones who are "next in line." Value your employees not just when it's time for them to fill out the yearly "Best place to work" survey, but YEAR ROUND.

"Overall Good Experience; Bad Apples Spoil The Bunch"

Pros

Pay, benefits, flexibility, and potential for career advancement.

Cons

I actually have a fairly good job, am getting paid the most I ever have in my working career, and have an excellent relationship with my supervisor. However, the problems lie with the union rules making it hard to fire bad employees. I am one of the good apples among a bunch of rotting fruit. About 95% of my coworkers have worked at Kaiser for more than 10 years and have become lazy, immature, miserable, constant complainers who treat people like crap and act like the office is a high school classroom instead of a workplace. Most of them are also not trying to change their situation, but will gripe about any changes that take place within Kaiser or our department that does not directly benefit them somehow.

With that, my supervisor and union representatives highly encourage employees to use the education benefits that are offered to us. So, if one does wish to transition out of his or her current position into another one within Kaiser, all one has to do is go back to school, pick a major that is of interest, let Kaiser pay for the majority of it, and move forward.

Working in the type of atmosphere I described in the first paragraph can be discouraging and cause low morale; however, I continue to do above and beyond my best. My supervisor is not to blame, as managers and supervisors can't immediately get rid of the bad employees or hold back their raise due to union rules. If it were just myself and the other employees who actually do the work that we were hired to do and my supervisor in the office, I would LOVE IT, and give Kaiser five stars!

Aside from all this, the company has been focusing quite a lot on staying healthy and also giving rewards to employees for maintaining good health/practicing healthy behaviors, which is more than any other company for which I have worked, so I give them a thumbs up for that.

Overall, I think Kaiser is a good company to work for, just need a better system to get rid of the slackers.

Advice to Management

Work harder to get rid of bad employees and get them out as fast as you can!