Kaiser Permanente - Love the company - it's big! | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Kaiser Permanente

"Love the company - it's big!"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Los Angeles, CA
Current Employee - Senior Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Kaiser Permanente full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- lots of opportunities
- if you self-driven you can build yourself a real career
- excellent benefits
- good work life balance, but you have to manage it

Cons

- promotions come by chance and being in the right place at the right time - not by hard work
- you feel the weight of politics and the higher you go the more heavier it gets
- no career growth planning
- leadership does not know how to retain superstars

Advice to Management

- listen to employees
- provide career growth plans
- reduce management layers

Other Employee Reviews for Kaiser Permanente

1. "Great place to work with many avenues of career expansion."

Former Employee - Laboratory Technician in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Laboratory Technician in Oakland, CA

I worked at Kaiser Permanente part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great compensation and work/life balance. I worked on-call for 3.5 years and short hour (16 hr/week) for the latter 1.5 years of my employment, being able to work on average of 24-32 hours a week by picking up additional hours. The atmosphere around the hospital is generally positive, and there are a lot of neat events to partake in such as the Friday Farmer's Market and wellness celebrations at the adjacent Mosswood Park.

Cons

Favoritism was a major culprit in this department's lackluster management. Even as I often voluntarily covered specific shifts workable around my schedule from those who called in sick, I found myself reassigned elsewhere with double workload because another cross-covering lab assistant didn't want to "do a different job title's work." Complaining to the manager only resulted in me being admonished because I "wasn't being a team player." If you work here, bond with your co-workers, as they generally want to help and defend you.
    Also, transferring to another facility can deem difficult because most other facilities are under a different bargaining unit.

Advice to Management

Please listen to your employees; many of the veteran techs, scientists, and support staff know what they are doing. if you want to change something, seek input from and work with them since making numbers and figures more efficient doesn't always necessarily translate well on the bench.

"Large bureaucracy, can be a great deal of lack of communication, depending on the department you are in."

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Kaiser Permanente full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Always hires from within. Everyone belongs to a union so good representation when needed. Department Administrators and Assistant Department Administrators are hit or miss; sometimes you can have the most energetic and creative leader, sometimes you don't.

Cons

Extremely high turnover with department administrators. Everyone in management seems to be climbing the corporate ladder. Those that are climbing the ladder will step on and use anyone they can to get where they want to go. You will work very hard here, everyone has enough work to be 2 full-time jobs and you are expected to get it all done without complaining or asking for help.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees and then do something about it.