Kaiser Permanente - Old school thinking will lead to stagnant growth | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Kaiser Permanente

"Old school thinking will lead to stagnant growth"

Current Employee - Non-clinical Services Coordinator in Oakland, CA
Current Employee - Non-clinical Services Coordinator in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Kaiser Permanente full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

+Great health benefits
+Stable company that has long history
+Well known and large in size
+Ahead of its competitors
+Able to leverage technology
+Able to adapt to changes

Cons

-Even when you're more competent, highly skilled and has great potentials, hiring managers will go with "experience and previous title on paper". Sadly, in KP it is not what you know, but who you know.

-KP can't assess talent and won't grow its new work force (less than 5 years of services at KP). They sometimes hire from the outside for people with the "right" experience.

-Lack of training programs and opportunities for new work force (less than 5 years of services at KP)

-Horrible recruitment services. If you apply from the outside, you know how much of a black hole it is to apply on kp.org. It is not that much if you're a current employee applying to internal positions. Most KP recruiters are not helpful or friendly.

-Pay raises are very little and are capped out at a certain percentage each year.

-Each department is slow to make changes due to its large size and bureaucratic nature

-Lazy, and incompetent employees still allow to work, causing headaches for other dedicated, hard working, and competent employees.

Advice to Management

Listen more to ideas from your employees when they identify problems and risks that need to be addressed. Also, change your way of assessing and recognizing your talented and skillful workforce. Provide more opportunities to train and develop your newer employees to promote loyalty. Need to get rid of leeches aka lazy, incompetent, and not dedicated employees.

Other Employee Reviews for Kaiser Permanente

"Great place to volunteer at"

Former Employee - Junior Volunteer in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Junior Volunteer in San Jose, CA

I worked at Kaiser Permanente (More than 3 years)

Pros

I was a junior volunteer here all throughout my high school years and it was a great way to meet people from other high schools in the area. We did a lot of busy work like handing paperwork to nurses, but this also gave us a lot of face time with the nurses, which allowed us to get familiar with what they had to do. We interacted a lot with the patients through discharging them, giving labor and delivery tours, and going to their room with a complimentary gift cart filled with all sorts of goodies to cheer them up. It was quite a rewarding experience. I volunteered there when Debbie Smith and Terri Brown were the coordinators and they were fantastic!

Cons

There are some really busy days and some veeeeerrrryyy slow days, so bringing in homework is always a plus!

"Great Organization With A Great Mission"

Current Employee - Pharmacy Benefits Coordinator in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Benefits Coordinator in Washington, DC

I have been working at Kaiser Permanente full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits, Training, Advancement Opportunities and Range Of Talented People

Cons

Need For Sense Of Urgency In Order To Maintain Competitiveness - Do Not Rest On Your Laurels.