Kaplan - Kaplan builds futures, and I'm happy to help! | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Kaplan

"Kaplan builds futures, and I'm happy to help!"

Current Employee - Territory Marketing Director in Washington, DC
Current Employee - Territory Marketing Director in Washington, DC

Pros

Kaplan builds futures, one success story at a time. It's tough in this day and age to find a job that not only challenges you to grow and allows you to fulfill your professional potential, but also makes you feel good about helping people every day. It's a unique opportunity to marry a noble cause with the pace and profitability of private enterprise. Also, I've had the privilege of working with bright, motivated, ambitious colleagues at all levels of the company, and those of us who deliver on our performance goals have had plenty of opportunities for advancement. Finally, despite being the world leader in test prep for over 70 years, Kaplan continues to innovate at the cutting edge of technology and for-profit education. Most of all, decisions at all levels are made not just to build the bottom line, but first and foremost to benefit our students.

Cons

This is a challenging environment to work in, and Kaplan employees put in a lot of hours because we're passionate about what we do. However, I've always enjoyed a challenge and I want to work with people who feel the same way.

Advice to Management

Keep investing in our products, our technology, our students, and most importantly - our employees!

Other Employee Reviews for Kaplan

"Great educational benefits, unsure of long-term career potential"

Current Employee - Instructor in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Instructor in Austin, TX

Pros

The company's benefit package is above average, especially the access to discounted educational benefits. The starting pay seems fair, but unsure of pay of longer term employees. Most of the instructors are part time which allows this employee to work another career outside of Kaplan. Scheduling is very flexible.

Cons

Currently the company is in the midst of a reorganization and many employees are still unsure of the how the changes will affect them at this point.

Advice to Management

During times of change, continuing to keep the employees informed is extremely important. This includes short term as well as long term implications of the changes.

"Kaplan: Great Place for A Job, Go Elsewhere for a Career"

Current Employee - Teacher in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Teacher in Chicago, IL

Pros

You get to create your own schedule for the most part. As a student, this is a GREAT job because you can do all of your prep work from home whenever you want and even get paid for any out-of-class time if you are an instructor. It is also great to be in such a highly academic environment with so many intellectual peers, particularly if you are in school or studying for a graduate school entrance exam yourself.

Cons

Out-of-class time is paid at minimum wage, which isn't particularly enticing. If you are looking for a career or trying to turn your part-time job into a full-time position, Kaplan is probably not the place for you because Kaplan does not always value its employees. There is a very high turnover rate in the staff. Classes may be canceled due to low enrollment, so you never know if you are going to get the hours that you were promised. Raises are based on evaluations by your students, so you may not be getting compensated fairly in that way as well, particularly if you are teaching high schoolers who do not know how to evaluate their teachers accurately.

Advice to Management

Value your teachers, the frontline of your business, much more. If you valued them, they would be much more likely to stay with the company. This would pay off in a multitude of ways. First, Kaplan would not need to hire and train new teachers so frequently and invest so much time and money into this process. Secondly, word of mouth, which is the number one way Kaplan gets business, would be even better because there would be more veteran teachers who would be excelling even more. Finally, teachers would not need to do as much out-of-class prep time because they would know the material, which would mean more attention to customer service issues rather than prep.