Kaplan - On decline - especially technology | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Kaplan

"On decline - especially technology"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Fort Lauderdale, FL
Current Employee - Project Manager in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Kaplan full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They want to get better. They have some nice goals (to be the best educator) but they are disconnected from the realities of the business climate.

Cons

Layoffs every quarter - even though the CEO & CFO gets up and says that the declines aren't as bad as they look

Advice to Management

You are an education company not a technology company. Go back to your core compentencies and find business models to replace those that are obsolete.

Other Employee Reviews for Kaplan

"A variety of experiences, most of them good."

Current Employee - Premier Tutor in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Premier Tutor in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Kaplan part-time (More than a year)

Pros

As a premier tutor you set your own schedule, you accept the students you want, in the areas you want to travel to. The managers are good to work with and deliver the support necessary to work effectively.

Cons

There isn't always enough work to go around. Sometimes you get a student who is difficult to work with.

Advice to Management

Do more to sell the product.

"Unethical practices and low pay"

Former Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Kaplan full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

My immediate supervisors were great. They helped me develop my skills. The staff in the education department at the local campus works hard. There are a lot of low-level employees that have their heart in their job and want to help their students.

Cons

1. The mission statement is about education, but the emphasis is placed on numbers.
    2. The admission policies are unethical. Students are encouraged to enroll despite having the finances or academic ability to be successful in the program. I have witnessed students enrolled who are living out of their car. I have witnessed students enrolled who can not read. It is then left to the education department to deal with it.
    3. Career services twists job titles to make it appear placements rates are high. Giving Grandma her medicine does not mean that you are working in the medical field.
    4. The pay is too low compared to industry standards.
    5. Your work load will continue to increase. Each time they layoff employees (which is a lot), they assign their duties to someone else with no increase in pay or benefits.

Advice to Management

Go back and look at your mission. You aren't running your business by it. By the end, I was embarrassed to be a Kaplan employee because I felt like we were prostituting ourselves just to make money.