Karmaloop - not enough team spirit | Glassdoor

"not enough team spirit"

Former Intern - Intern of Marketing Analytics in Boston, MA
Former Intern - Intern of Marketing Analytics in Boston, MA

I worked at Karmaloop as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

creative and open working environment / creative media production people surrounds

Cons

Interns are not treated as a team member but a temporary position. Doesn't have clear group job segmentation. Position titles are too mixed up lacking clear organizing.

Other Employee Reviews for Karmaloop

"Laid back work "culture" can often be unprofessional and uncomfortable."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Karmaloop full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The atmosphere is fast paced, and often fun. As a whole, the people who work at the company are young and driven. Employees share the same interests, and many are very motivated and passionate about what they do.

Cons

1. Little to no structure in the workplace: Job descriptions and pay structure are non-existent. Expectations were often unclear or unrealistic. Very little interdepartmental communication makes it hard to complete projects.

2. Upward mobility is limited: There are a lot of very intelligent and driven people who work here. Unfortunately, they are seldom the ones who get promoted. Upward mobility is often reserved for for those who have friends in high (managerial) places.

3. "Mean Girl" Culture: There is a very clear and definite crowd of favorites, who are often considered the "face" of the company. These people are invited out to lunch, to private parties at the owners house, and enjoy perks that others just don't get--including raises and other tangible benefits. During my time there I did actually receive many of these perks, but had co-workers that absolutely didn't. It creates a pretty awkward divide between the "haves" and "have nots," and does not lead to a positive work environment.

Advice to Management

Lose the "cool kid" culture... it's not that cool. Learn to treat ALL of your employees with respect and consideration!

"high fun high stress job not a career,"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Karmaloop full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

beautiful office, friendly environment, possibility to learn a lot, exciting events to attend out side of work, many of your co workers have interesting hobbies, dogs and music run rampant. If you are looking for a lifestyle change / or a new 'family' this is the job for you.

Cons

Expected to work weekends, holidays (not referring to a customer support position). Head of dept was constantly changed as were objectives. Most of my day was spent reminding people about their work obligations, typically projects were passed to me pass due date / and incomplete, leaving me to correct errors and finish work of others.

Gossip / Drama

' why change our tactics if they worked in the past clearly they will continue to work in the future'

if you are thinking about working here, you might love it but ask around in the city i guarantee you will know someone, who personally or is related to someone who was laid off. Before and after working here i have met many people who have had similar experiences and have made many connections by commiseration in fact that is how i found my current job.

Advice to Management

making jokes about employees personal lives when in mixed company, is inappropriate and very unprofessional. listen to everyone equally, and hold your self to the same standards as you do others