Kaufman Dolowich & Voluck - Great opportunity, if you manage it right. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Kaufman Dolowich & Voluck

"Great opportunity, if you manage it right."

Former Employee - Attorney in San Francisco, CA
Former Employee - Attorney in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Hands on experience on interesting cases, that allow younger attorneys a great opportunity to learn and grow. Fairly open and enjoyable culture which allows for meaningful relationships within coworkers and partners.

Cons

Chaotic management style that can confuse associates. Compensation package weaker than industry standard. Unclear billable system

Advice to Management

Clarify communication skills and improve compensation package.

Other Employee Reviews for Kaufman Dolowich & Voluck

"Great Place to Work for Young Associates"

Current Employee - Associate in Woodbury, NY
    Current Employee - Associate in Woodbury, NY

I have been working at Kaufman Dolowich & Voluck full-time (More than a year)

Pros

KDV has been a great place to work. I started my career with KDV right out of law school. As many first year associates, I was worried about finding a firm that was willing to really take the time to teach me the fundamentals of being a successful associate and just generally grooming me to be a great attorney. I could not have asked for more from KDV and will soon celebrate my 2-year anniversary with the firm.

On day one, I was paired with a mentor who has educated me not only on substantive law, but also on many things you don't learn in law school such as what to do at court appearances, the basics of client communication, how to handle the stresses that come along with "learning by doing" as a new attorney, and the ins-and-outs of networking and business development.

I have also had the opportunity to work in essentially all of the practice areas at KDV - something that is not common as a first-year associate - which has made me a versatile attorney. All of the partners and senior associates are extremely knowledgeable in their area of practice and are extremely helpful. Most of the partners and senior associates have an "open door policy" providing for an environment that fosters education and growth.

Of course, you have to work hard and produce quality work product, but you are recognized for the work that you do. In addition to the knowledgeable attorneys, KDV also has a friendly and collegiate environment and has a a fun, energetic atmosphere with great work-life balance, and offers competitive salary, bonuses, and benefits.

All in all, KDV does strive to select high-caliber individuals who share a commitment to quality work product. In return, KDV recognizes and rewards its associates for their efforts and contributions. If you work hard and produce quality work product, you will thrive at KDV and will enjoy working here.

Cons

All organizations that are growing are not perfect but the attempt is there to make the firm a better place each day to work.

High billable hour requirement, but with the workload you are given, you will not have trouble meeting the requirement and still maintaining work-life balance.

Advice to Management

Continue the great efforts of improving communication around the firm and continue to keep employee morale up with team building events.

2. "Great Firm"

Current Employee - Administrator in Woodbury, NY
    Current Employee - Administrator in Woodbury, NY

I have been working at Kaufman Dolowich & Voluck full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Culture is very welcoming, always someone available to answer questions. A great place to be whether you are just starting out or you are a seasoned professional. I think the firm will only get bigger, and will only become more successful. There are a lot of opportunities to grow, whether you are a lawyer or an administrator. Supervisors across the board are working with their employees in mind, and helping them achieve everything they can.

Cons

There isn't much to say against KDV. They are a firm that is aware of their public image and are constantly working to prove how elite they are. I believe in the firm, and think it will go very far.

Advice to Management

Encourage employees to be more engaged. Company culture is already good, but it doesn't originate from the top like it should.