Keane - What a mess | Glassdoor

"What a mess"

Pros

Will receive your pay check on time.

Cons

Management has no clue other than counting the dollars..People are just headcount, clients are just cash cows. Have been pretty good at fooling the Japanese bosses, just by managing up.

Advice to Management

Sell the company to someone else, spare the clients and employees...

Other Employee Reviews for Keane

1. "No work life balance."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Keane full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great place to build your resume.

Cons

No work life balance, too many critical functions offshored.

Advice to Management

Better recognize key talent or kiss it goodbye when the econony improves.

"It's a paycheck"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Charlotte, NC
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Keane as a contractor (More than 10 years)

Pros

They hire very skilled people. Benefits are not bad though health insurance premiums shot up 20% this year. It's a great place if you're looking to work with a hybrid onshore/offshore model for development or QA. The mantra has generally been "get the job done for our customers, we won't micromanage you if you can produce results" and for the most part they've stuck to it. I've been fortunate to work with some great managers and expand my skillset considerably.

Cons

It's very easy to feel like you're "out on an island" if you are on a client site (as I've been all 10 years I've worked for Keane/NTT Data Americas). Upper management communication from "on high" in Boston is very poor and was even before the Caritor acquisition. The Caritor acquisition all but destroyed the company--I went 4 years without a raise even with good to excellent reviews and people were leaving in droves, especially on the sales side. Things have turned around a little bit since the acquisition by NTT Data but there's still no local office administrative support anymore, everything's been pushed out to India. Technical training and enhancement seems 100% geared toward offshore Indian staff and leaves nothing for those of us who are domestic US. Pay is a bit low for the industry from what I hear from friends at other companies. Appraisal/salary process seems to change from year to year to year and is usually arbitrary, disjointed, confusing, and never happens on time, plus raises are tiny to nonexistent because they are shifting to a quarterly bonus system where a small fraction of employees on a contract will get a small bonus. Some delivery managers are invisible or overworked because they're also expected to do work for the client instead of just handling the NTT Data employees on the account. Career opportunities internally are limited, extremely hard to find on the company website, and very hard to apply for--"mobility" typically consists of getting told "we're sending you here" when your current contract runs out and you're given the choice of accepting it or leaving the company. The management team brought in post-Caritor aren't miracle workers, but they're trying, and at least they aren't Mani.

Advice to Management

Better communication from your practice leads and middle management on down to those of us in the trenches, not just the occasional company email from some SVP or John telling us about a grand initiative--delivery managers and the folks right over them often seem very remote from those of us at client sites. Improve your appraisal and salary adjustment process and stick with the same one for more than one year. Improve your company internal portal (which is impossible to use) and make it easier to find and apply for internal positions.