Kemper - The Good, The Bad, The Ugly | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Kemper

"The Good, The Bad, The Ugly"

Current Employee - Accountant
Current Employee - Accountant

Pros

*Management seems to be well in control of what is going on and how to run the company. Salaries are respectable.
*The ability to learn and grow under the right leadership.

Cons

*Mundane.
*Raises have been cut but keep up with normal inflation.
*All functional areas of the company have very different, clique-like working styles and can cause conflict.

Advice to Management

You don't need to yell to accomplish something, you don't need to be petty, you don't need hold frustration in for a couple weeks and then let it out because you have personal problems... We all have personal issues. Just be honest, open and willing to share knowledge. Trust and respect will follow.

Other Employee Reviews for Kemper

"Not a good place to work"

Pros

exposure to multiple functions relating to Insurance

Cons

Nepotism! Too many executives earning very high salaries while everyone below a director level is worked to death. All for the good of the company.

Advice to Management

The combined salary expense of everyone below a director level does not much executive compensation. How does the llinois Department of Insurance tolerate that, for an insurance company in runoff?

2. "Terrible place to work"

Current Employee - Insurance Customer Service Agent
    Current Employee - Insurance Customer Service Agent

Pros

competitive pay rates for position
    good health insurance benefits
    401k plans available

Cons

Scheduling is terrible
    They don't work with you if you are sick or have an emergency of any kind regardless of what it is
    Lay offs every year around October/November
    Pay raises are insignificant and sometimes nonexistant
    Unitrin only cares about the $ not about their employees at all.. If you want a job just to have one then fine the pay is ok for that but if you want to be treated like a human being LOOK ELSEWHERE...

Advice to Management

Be more understanding that things do sometimes come up with our employees that are out of their control; emergencies with kids; traffic conditions that may cause you to arrive late to work on occassion; employees themselves being sick and having to go to doctors and sometimes even miss work because of their illness.... People shouldn't have to worry that if these things happen they might lose their job just because the company doesn't want to work with them.. Allow a make up time policy or allow employees to work extra hours on Saturday if they are out; A more fleixble schedule would allow for employees to make up time missed and be able to not have it count against them therefore keeping both the company and the employee happy and not having anyone get fired or quit over stupid management concepts....

*note I am currently employed with this company and I have seen a lot of good people lose their jobs over stupid things over the years I have been there.... I can honestly say I am looking for a new job and as soon as I can find one I am outta here...