Kendall & Davis - Great People; Outdated Practices and Micro-Managed to the Nth Degree | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Kendall & Davis

"Great People; Outdated Practices and Micro-Managed to the Nth Degree"

Former Employee - Consultant in Saint Louis, MO
Former Employee - Consultant in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Kendall & Davis full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The recruiters at Kendall and Davis are smart, fun and hard-working. One can make a decent living if put in the right recruiting specialty such as Primary Care or Emergency Medicine. I learned a ton in a short period of time.

Cons

1. Outdated recruiting practices and micro-managed. Undoubtedly, the phone is a recruiters number one tool. However, as newer generations enter the work force, recruiters must adapt to the chosen mode of generational communication, or get left in dust. Most 20 to 30 somethings prefer email or text messages. Kendall and Davis management requires not only an exreme quantity of phone calls, but also an extreme amount of time spent on the phone daily. These phone "quotas" make it almost impossible to perform daily organizational tasks and maintain proper follow through with candidates. Ultimately, the recruiter ends up calling the same people in the database over and over again.
Additionally, phone time is recorded and monitored daily. Management hold the reigns very tightly regarding phone time.
2. Favoritism. I have encountered favoritism in every position that I have ever held. However, the dynamic with Kendall and Davis is so off-kilter and blatant, that it makes it almost impossible to ignore. Management "hangs out" with a very select few during non-working hours and carries that over into the office. It is a constant barage of whispering and finger pointing. If you bring it to the attention of management or HR, then you are targeted as a trouble maker. It is literally the most unprofessional environment that I have ever endured. I have seen retalliation from management on MANY occasions.
3. Bad health benefits. Their benefit program is outrageously expensive and extremely narrow in its scope.
4. Paranoia. Management employs a lot of sneaky tactics to find out whether a recruiter might be talking disparigingly about rules, regulations or management itself.

Other Employee Reviews for Kendall & Davis

1. "High Return for Hard Work"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Kendall & Davis full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Clear promotional direction with set objectives and metrics. Metrics are attainable on an individual basis. All team members are there to lend a helping hand or word of encouragement when needed. Senior leaders continue to assist newer members throughout the sales cycle. Continued training and development is encouraged.

Cons

Commission's are slow to be paid at times.

2. "Physician Consultant"

Former Employee - Physician Recruiter in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Physician Recruiter in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Kendall & Davis full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I think that this is a great job for someone fresh out of college just to get some real world office experience. But, treat it like an internship. Work here 2-6 months and get out! I met some really cool people while working there. I also got really good at soliciting/ talking on the phone because that is literally all you do here. Although, the majority of people I enjoyed are no longer with the company, you can still get some great practice on the phone! They also have a great ice machine. Lastly, this job will make you appreciate every other job you have... ever.

Cons

Let me start by explaining the job. There are two roles here that encompass the job of the consultant. Marketing and Soliciting. The marketing role entails calling every hospital/outpatient center in your region and seeing if they have need ( a job opening for a doctor that they could really use your help filling). The Soliciting role entails you calling around a hundred doctors a day seeing if they want to uproot their lives and take a job that you found (usually in the middle of no where - thats why the hospital agrees to sign your 20K service agreement during your marketing role because no doctor wants this job your soliciting for in the first place).

Here's where it continues to get sticky. Say my region is the Southeast. While I have lots of doctors interested, I have no jobs to fill because there are lines out the door for doctors that want to move to Florida or South Carolina for example. Now lets say I have a region that encompasses Kentucky, Tennessee, West Virginia, etc. Well, now I have a million jobs but no doctor that wants to move to the middle of no where. Especially because 90% of the doctors you talk to are from Pakistan, India, or some country whose people prefer to be in a metropolitan area.

This job is by no means fair between the consultants either. I say this because not only are the consultants separated by region, they are separated by specialty. So, if you are lucky enough to be a Nurse consultant whose territory is the Southeast - Hooray! You have a million outpatient offices/hospitals you can call who may need help filling a position AND you have nurses that like warm weather. Now lets say you are in the Northeast and you employ Pulmonary/ Critical Care Doctors - well you only have a handful of hospitals you can call and if they don't have a need, then you have no jobs to fill, so enjoy working a 9 to 5 and not making any money.

Speaking of money, I was offered a 30K base + Commission. After a year the 30K base disappears and your commission goes up slightly. That should have been my first red flag but I kept being promised a 6 figure salary after I "hit my chair," and I got blinded with the false sense of ability to make a lot of money. Hitting your chair just means you met all the training requirements and your officially a Consultant.

A lot of times you have a doctor/nurse interested in multiple areas, which means you are competing with your fellow coworker for a buck. That is not healthy. You will meet some really slimy people here for that reason.

The number of phone calls you make is constantly being monitored and there is a report sent out once a day where you can see how many calls you made compared to your fellow coworker. Also, not healthy.

The market is incredibly saturated for recruiters so enjoy competing with what seems like everyone under the sun. Many times you'll talk to a doctor who said he's already heard about this job from another recruiter.

It's kind of like a pyramid scheme in that the employees/managers that have been here a long time will get a cut of ever doctor you place (if you place a doctor).

Advice to Management

Stop with the scare tactics and stop lying to your employees. This job is a trip. It doesn't take long to realize that in order to sell/ trick doctors into taking jobs that they will grow to hate, you have to tell a white lie here and there. Unfortunately some managers don't know how to turn it off and they will continuously promise you 6 figure incomes and huge bonuses. Now, let me take a step back. This is not all untrue. Two people out of the 30 people in the office will hit that six figure income - because they stay for a long time and have the best specialty/region but most will never breach $35K. Honestly, I consider $35K to be doing outstanding at this job.