Kenexa - Kenexa has offered me me growth personally. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Kenexa

"Kenexa has offered me me growth personally."

Current Employee - Project Manager in Lincoln, NE
Current Employee - Project Manager in Lincoln, NE

Pros

Work Flexibility &Team work to get things done.

Cons

Communications between Management and team needs to improve
Clear expectations and training are needed

Other Employee Reviews for Kenexa

1. "Mixed experiences"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wayne, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wayne, PA

Pros

What they strive for as evidence of the field they serve is amazing. The level of talent in some of the divisions is extraordinary. The environment of innovation and creativity is communicated as possible...

Cons

Bottom line is always first and foremost in the minds of the executive team and they sacrafice all to meet a financial objective. This was not always the case and therefore there is constant conflict with their mission statement and values.

Advice to Management

Remember your mission and values always and know that when they are held first the financial rewards will follow.

"Smart people with good intentions and ethics but everyone is in silos. They don't act/think like a technology company."

Current Employee - Project Manager in Needham, MA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Needham, MA

Pros

It is very much a performance driven culture. You work hard and it seems like you're rewarded (although I haven't been there long enough to know for sure). The people are very smart and very customer focused and they really believe in servicing their customers. Management is driven and does listen well to feedback even if they do choose not to always incorporate it. Some of the solutions are amazing and easily can beat out the competition if the customer does a full in depth review. Kenexa knows how to make clients successful and the clients, in general, really like the software and the people.

Cons

Each business unit at Kenexa operates independently. I came over with the acquisition of Salary.com and rather than try to integrate the product and do some cross selling it we're just being operated independently (in their defense we will eventually integrate). Sure they're doing some things which are good (ramping up the sales effort and keeping the best sales reps) but at the same time they're focusing the business on a few products. Other products that overlap with existing Kenexa groups - yes, you can sell them but you don't get any quota credit. The sales team suggested a structured referral program and some sort of partial comission since Kenexa hasn't figured out a way to operated between business groups and the response was "well that's part of your base salary" (which, by the way, is their answer to everything). The management team lacks some fundamental compensation knowledge (you get what you measure) and when you acquire a company full of people who have been in the compensation space it shows even more.

Also the company doesn't provide stock except to senior management. This is totally counter the opposite of what tech companies do to drive buy in to the broader organization "winning". I'm amazed that with 100 I/O psychologists on staff someone hasn't figured out that you can align individuals with the company by making their feel they have a stake in the overall success of the company (nevermind making employees think twice about leaving because they'd be leaving some stock behind). The benefits are pricey (even more so if you have kids) and the ESPP is a joke (5% discount). Again, no real compensation strategy or at least one I've never heard of as being a best practice.

While I want Kenexa to succeed (and I do believe they will albeit not nearly as much as they could) they have never been good at acquistion and they didn't suddenly become better with this one. What amazes me though is they acknowledge they're not good at it and yet they keep messing up in the same ways. There is this attitude of "we only want you here if you want to be here" which I actually like in theory but you have to understand that when you acquire a company, tell them they're all have high bases (and guess what - we have market data! we know what market is...and this is Boston, not Lincoln Nebraska), and then ask them if they want to work for you, you're probably not going to get the best response. Keep in mind the Boston job market is actually pretty good still for people like us and with the move to Waltham you're already going to be making the commute a lot less attractive for a lot of people.

One note - the overall business leader is doing a much better job than the old CEO and CTO (both of whom you should never ever work for...run...run away). Sales looks like they're doing better too under the new VP. Much of this is just critique which I hope will get fixed - the company has potential but it needs to change otherwise it will miss some of the success it would otherwise be able to capture.

Advice to Management

Hire consultants who can provide outside advice on pay programs, acquistion retention strategies. and incentive plan design. If you spend $80MM on an acquisitoin make sure you spend some additional dollars to invest in the business and make sure you keep the best people - if you don't, you're just putting the $80MM acquisition (plus all your buy out costs for execs and the layoffs) at risk because you're being short sighted. If you lose even a small fraction of the top 10% of your workforce then you're going to have a very hard time being successful and making the acquisition worth it.

Keep doing what you're doing in putting all the products on one platform but also understand that in the interim you need to start fostering cross selling and inter-business unit teamwork - you can't just start doing it when you all of a sudden want everyone to work together. You need to start creating a more collaborative work environment NOW if you want to have one rocking and rolling in the next 1-2 years. You need all employees aligned with the success of Kenexa as a company, not just the success of the group the employee sits in.