Kennametal - Not bad, but not really great | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Kennametal

"Not bad, but not really great"

I have been working at Kennametal full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

First off, I am basically basing this on my faucility. Some things are company wide, however I don't think it would be fair to base the whole thing on a whole company that seems a bit disjointed.
The interview process seemed to me like they weren't sure what to make of what was on my resume. I have a lot of varied talents, so I suppose they were not sure if it was for real or not. However, stepping into a room with a group of your peers who just seem a little unsure does not strike a vote of confidence, but I played it off. The offer that was made to me was a bit off, as the HR rep. (who wasn't even from this faucility) had made some errors. Not a good sign, but if the working conditions are right I can overlook some things. Over my time working in said faucility, I have witnessed some things that have been moving them in a good direction and some things that make me question if the management team is really looking at what is best for the plant in the future. In general, the management does seem to have the companies best interests at heart.

Cons

The other side of my last pros comment is that they don't seem to have the employee's interests in mind. There is very mixed moral and some disension within the ranks. While management is seen on the floor, it seems to be there in a "good ole boys" kinda fasion. The "pay for performace" scale that was put in place a few years ago seems more in line to get certain people recognized fast, while leaving people who are not in the in crowd out in the cold. If you are not in said crowd, you are not recognized for much more then showing up for work.
The equipment at this faucility, for the most part is antiquated at best. They sometimes sit for weeks at a time, whether it is due to lack of response from maintenance, getting parts to repair them, inabilty or lack of skill in the maintenance dept., or just a lack of people to operate them is unclear and direction to respond to whichever problem there is is slow and often unyeilding of results. The workers who show a desire to do all they can are rewarded with less then adiquate increases and little recognision if they are not in the "in crowd".
The management team, while holding meetings with people who will yes them to death and showing some presence on the shop floor, seems to have a serious disconnect with the people who are making the product. Whether it is that they are not listening or do not care, I'm not really sure. While they do offer a Voice of the Employee survey every few years, I often wonder if they hear what is being said.

Advice to Management

If the strength of a todem pole is determined by the bottom construct, should not the same hold true for a corperate structure? When this company was privately owned, the company did all it could to see to the needs of keeping the bottom end worker happy. This yeilded positive results in high moral, good quality, and workers who were beating down the door to work here. Now it's just another cog in corperate America, hiring temps because people don't really show an interest. Should your workers not be more engaged in operating a machine, or doing all they can to support that operation?
Overall, I doubt anything I say in this block would really be heard in management's ear. I'm just one voice in a chorus. If 82% of that chorus is telling management "that's the best idea ever" while turning to thier fellow associate saying "this place is going down hill and I worry about it's future", nothing gets done. It's a shame to say that considering where we have come from as a company.
Overall, it's not a bad place to work. But it has been better. Now, it seems that it's become one of the places that as a fellow employee put it, "one place is just as good as another to work". But we've done better then that.

Other Employee Reviews for Kennametal

1. "Great atmosphere to work in"

Current Employee - Associate Engineer in Bengaluru (India)
    Current Employee - Associate Engineer in Bengaluru (India)

I have been working at Kennametal full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly people around which makes your job make easy

Cons

Very less sports activities hence feels odd

Advice to Management

No comments to be made

2. "Challenging and interesting place to work"

Current Employee - IT Analyst in Bengaluru (India)
    Current Employee - IT Analyst in Bengaluru (India)

I have been working at Kennametal full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Effort is recognized and constant interaction with top management is healthy and helps you focus on the job and your ideas are counted.

Cons

The ITPL facility could do better with maintenance and house keeping. Kennameta;'s plant on Tumkur road is an excellent place to work.

Advice to Management

You are yet to let anyone down, hope it doesn't happen.