Kentucky Farm Bureau Insurance - Great place to work! | Glassdoor

"Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY

Pros

The benefits are exceptional. very laid back atmosphere regarding arrival and dismissal times. We only work half-days on Firdays.

Cons

Very conservative company. I would consider some processes "old-school" Starting pay is less than other companies in the area.

Other Employee Reviews for Kentucky Farm Bureau Insurance

"A Great Place to Work!"

Current Employee - Manager in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Manager in Louisville, KY

Pros

It is a very stable and financially successfull company. Since the company is a "mutual insurance" arrangement, we answer to our policy holders and do not have to be concerned with stock prices and dividends earned on shares. The company has a very low turnover rate resulting in experienced and happy employees. We work only a half-day each and every Friday. The benefits package greatly exceeds other companies in the area; however the salaries are slightly below other similiar organizations. The company offers reduced food prices in the on-site cafeteria. Great work-life balance and has the feel of a small-time company even though we have around 700 employees.

Cons

The organization is structured with about seven different divisions. Most of the time, the divisions tend to operate in silo's without regard to other areas; however senior management has begun a process to improve cross-functional decision making. Because many of the employees tend to have a long tenure, it seems that promotions go to the tenured folks first before any relatively new employee. Sort of like "wait, it's not your turn yet". The company is involved with many internal projects and has been bringing in external consultants to assist. This use of consultants gives the impression that the company employees may be lacking the necessary skill set to do their job effectively.

Advice to Management

Senior management needs to be more trusting of the decision making abilities of their managers and supervisors. Too many times, decisions have to be made by senior management on daily operational issues. Senior management needs to be focused on the strategic view for the organization and let their lower level staff make the necessary operational decisions that tend to be routine in nature. Senior management needs to lead by example in attending professional development classes instead of thinking that they know it all. It should be more of a "do as I do" example instead of a "do as I say".

"Great company"

I worked at Kentucky Farm Bureau Insurance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company is very positive and takes care of employees as well as policy holders.

Cons

Difficult to advance or move to different departments if you work in an agent's office. Because they are seen as separate companies, you are seen as an outside candidate.