Kessler Orlean Silver & Co. - Good opportunity in theory, but not in reality. Management is disorganized. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Kessler Orlean Silver & Co.

"Good opportunity in theory, but not in reality. Management is disorganized."

I have been working at Kessler Orlean Silver & Co. full-time

Pros

- Flexible work hours outside of tax season
- Opportunity to work on a wide variety of projects
- Salaries for younger staff are decent

Cons

- Although management preaches work/life balance and "family environment", this is often not how it is at all
- Poor alignment between partners of the firm, which leaves staff frustrated
- Poor training; most partners/directors/managers don't want to take the time to train younger staff, yet they complain when staff don't appear to be improving or learning

Advice to Management

Get on the same page - come up with unified procedures and philosophies, and stick to them.

Other Employee Reviews for Kessler Orlean Silver & Co.

"Welcoming Workplace with Great Growth Potential"

Pros

There is an opportunity for professional growth and development. My communication, problem-solving and leadership skills have flourished during my time at KOS. As you move along your career path, the Partners, Directors and Managers prefer that you communicate with their clients in order to gain and enhance skills that are necessary in this field. The leadership at KOS allows for independent thinking which has enhanced my problem-solving skills. Over time I have been able to recognize problems and formulate a solution in an efficient an effective manner. Recently the firm has experienced growth through acquisitions. This is an example of how the partner group is investing in its staff’s future. The staff have an opportunity to “take the bull by the horns” and work with these new clients which eventually can be transitioned to them. The firm has allowed its staff to participate on various committees that determine the firm’s procedures and policies. The partners are committed to helping the staff mold their career. Career advancement can be exponential at KOS if you are committed which is evident at the manager and staff level.

Cons

Can be difficult at times to switch between accounting, audit and tax work. My preferred method of learning is repetition. But definitely a plus for inexperienced professionals who are still trying to determine their career path. Slightly understaffed at the moment and are facing the same staffing issues that a vast majority of accounting firms are facing.

Advice to Management

Maybe consider opening a satellite office in the city, if not in the city than in the Evanston area. The commute can be tough some times. Continue to keep the staff informed and involved.

"Not for me. Probably not for you."

I have been working at Kessler Orlean Silver & Co. full-time

Pros

- Flexible environment
    - Most people are nice
    - Opportunity to work on a variety of work
    - Salary is fine

Cons

As I write this I am preparing my exit from the firm (as soon as I can get an offer from somewhere else).

Work is disorganized. Leadership, although friendly, have a difficult time managing the firm and creating a place where you actually want to try hard. They act like they care, but at the end of the day, they just want to make sure you're billing enough hours to their clients.

If you picture public accounting as an environment where you learn a lot, work with really professional people and clients, and do interesting work, you will be disappointed. Some partners are smart and professional, but there's a definitely creepy factor that I never expected to find at an accounting firm.

Should've listened to my friends and went with a bigger firm where there is more opportunity (and I accept that I probably will need to work harder).

Advice to Management

Read and act on the feedback you receive.

Kessler Orlean Silver & Co. Response

Jan 27, 2016 – Partner

I am the firm’s Human Resources Director. We take the feedback in the above post very seriously, as we strive to promote a professional, safe and collegial work environment at KOS. Based on the... More