KeyBank - Lots of positives, but little upward mobility. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for KeyBank

"Lots of positives, but little upward mobility."

Current Employee - Loan Workout Rel Manager III in Denver, CO
Current Employee - Loan Workout Rel Manager III in Denver, CO

I have been working at KeyBank full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great benefits, lots of vacation regardless of job grade, all major holidays off plus three floating holidays through year, and compensation is good. The best part of the job is the excellent people who work for the company. My immediate co-workers and my managers are experienced, knowledgeable, and are a pleasure to work with. There are lots of opportunities to get exposure to other lines of business and continuous improvement / job training has been a major focus for the last several years.

Cons

As much as I love my managers, I sometimes feel as though I'm living the movie "Office Space" reporting to several different people. Word from the top of the house doesn't move as quickly down the chain as one would anticipate. It seems as though there is not a lot of room to move within the company unless one relocates to Cleveland. There have been many changes in the last few years and there is still a sense of unease about the stability of jobs with the company.

Advice to Management

The past few years seem like we have been in "sit and wait" mode as the market recovers. We are well capitalized, on track to meet the expense reduction goals, and have a talented workforce - when are we going to start taking a few more risks in lending and getting back in the competitive game? We could be a serious force to be reckoned with if we had a direction to focus in.

Other Employee Reviews for KeyBank

"It was the best of times. It was the worst of times."

Former Employee - Retail Leader in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Retail Leader in Seattle, WA

I worked at KeyBank full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are great people at Key. The leaders work together in the cities from coast to coast. There is willingness to work hard and accept change by working together. Often, there are people who go way out of their way to make customers happy. You can be proud to wear a key.

Cons

The economy has been tough on banking and Key is no exception to this hard truth. There are fewer people working here every day. More and more decisions are made in Cleveland that appear unrealistic. Managers roll the stress down with little to no choice. So when there is a sour apple in the management bunch, everyone feels the pain. If you work here, odds are you won't retire from here.

Advice to Management

Focus the budget on the markets you value most and stop wasting money on strategies that "hope" for a return. You shouldn't have a branch if you can't afford to staff it.

"Used to be a good company and then they hired a bunch of Citizens people!"

Current Employee - Relationship Manager in Albany, NY
    Current Employee - Relationship Manager in Albany, NY

I have been working at KeyBank full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good IT system. Plenty of locations with plenty of people getting fired so there is room for advancement that way.

Cons

Horrible upper management; some of them don't even understand the reports that they use to write up the employees for performance improvement plans. Rampant sexual harassment that never gets addressed. Unrealistic expectations of employees in terms of goals. Nepotism!

Advice to Management

Hire slightly more qualified people and stop being a flavor of the month bank. Do only a few things but do them well.