"Great company, amazing manager, wonderful colleagues - couldn’t be happier"

5.0
    Current Employee - People Operations in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Kiddom full-time for more than a year

Pros

Positive and Supportive Workplace: Over more than a decade I've worked at private firms, government offices, educational institutions, and finally, here at Kiddom. I've been here for two years. In comparing my experience here at Kiddom with my prior professional experiences, I can honestly say that I don't understand the other reviews alleging a toxic work environment. They are baffling and full of misleading statements, half truths, and outright lies. Brimming with things that are easily verifiable falsehoods, if you just dig a little. For instance, "almost no one at the company has been there for over a year" - more than half of our team members have been with Kiddom for 1.5+ years. That's in a relatively small, new company. Now certainly, there have been toxic people at Kiddom. It's hard to dodge them completely. I was managed by a toxic (and completely incompetent) person when I started with Kiddom and it was 4 months of professional agony. Around month five, a new Talent team member was brought on and he immediately recognized that I was being poorly managed, under utilized, and that I was a flight risk if things didn't change. He intervened on my behalf and he and the CEO carved out a new role and a new reporting structure for me. Since that time, I have grown with Kiddom and been able to truly use my skills and experience to benefit the company. What's the point here? They made a mistake with my initial manager. They shuffled me to someone with more management experience. They tried to work with my former manager - offering feedback and external trainings - that ultimately failed, but not for lack of effort on Kiddom's part. Founder Complaints: The people complaining about our founders must have never had managers before. Managers are people. They make mistakes. Where the real measure of a great leader/manager comes in is... what do they do when they realize they've made mistakes? Do they blame others? Or do they admit their errors, try to fix them (even when it's unpleasant - like in the case of layoffs) and make the hard calls? Do they lead by example? I'm not going to say that our founders are perfect. Who is? But, they work their tails off. They keep the longest hours of anyone at Kiddom. They put their heart and soul into everything they do. They've worked diligently to bring in people that will help us be successful. And they've made some tough calls with legacy hires who were with Kiddom from the beginning, but did not grow with the company or seem to have the motivation to succeed. As for statements that they "surround themselves with junior people" - I encourage you to look up the profiles of Kiddom hires on LinkedIn and you'll see that the opposite is true. The people we've brought on over the last two years are seasoned professionals who are helping us take our product to the next level. And as far as "fragile egos" - I have never feared speaking my mind to anyone who works here at Kiddom, including our founders. I have never been punished for speaking up and while they may not always agree with or follow my advice, the founders and other leads still listened. The one person who did not listen and who definitely had an ego problem (yep, the "lead" I was initially managed by) had direct reports taken away over an inability to hear and respond to constructive criticism about her ability to lead. All the mud-slinging at our founders - they are "top notch manipulators/liars" etc. - is utterly ridiculous. Sour grapes of a small handful of former employees who were let go after being given multiple chances to succeed. 2019 Layoffs: Of course they were hard. No one likes layoffs. Were they necessary? Absolutely. It became abundantly clear that the team we had was not going to get us to where we needed to be. Some of that was a lack of effort on their part (flaky work schedules - "working" from home - using the work day to stir up trouble amongst the team instead of doing their job - throwing actual tantrums when they don't get their way) and some of it was that we let them grow into roles that they were not ready for. There's no good way to let people go. HR Confidentiality: Seriously? Whenever someone makes an HR complaint to their manager, people ops, or the PEO, they get the same line. We cannot keep this 100% confidential. Why? Because we have to investigate complaints. You can't investigate complaints without divulging some information and talking to the people involved. What we can do is keep the information as tightly guarded as possible and only talk to people who are necessary to investigate a complaint or formulate a solution. Which is the entire point of making an HR complaint. Or at least, I would hope that it is. Overall, I have options and choose to stay here. Former colleagues, people in my extended professional network, and recruiters reach out to me regularly to see if I want to leave Kiddom. I'm not interested because I'm happy where I am. As a seasoned professional, former educator, and mission-driven social justice warrior with a demonstrated track record of advocacy - I can say that I think Kiddom is headed in the right direction and making every effort to bring on the people we need to get us there.

Cons

Legacy Hires: When I first started at Kiddom, most people were working hard while a small handful of people were hardly working. Not showing up to work. Coming in halfway through the day, then eating breakfast, oh now it's time for coffee, did I forget to tell you all I have to leave early? Spending days reading a book on a couch then blowing a deadline. Managing to do virtually no work on their work from home day. When new, more experienced people were brought on and some of these legacy hires were let go, it created a lot of friction for their friends who remained with Kiddom. I understand it's not easy to see your friends go. But, this is a business and sometimes, tough business decisions must be made.

Continue reading

Other Employee Reviews

"One of the best companies I've worked for!"

5.0
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Kiddom full-time for less than a year

Pros

Kiddom is one of the best companies I have ever worked for and I’m shocked and disappointed by all the negative reviews. Previously, I’ve worked for a company that has won awards for best culture and I have also worked for an extremely toxic company. I would never classify Kiddom as toxic, not even close. I came into Kiddom with a bit of PTSD from my previous toxic company and Kiddom quickly made me feel at ease and like my opinion would not only be heard, but respected. Some Pros: - Amazing co-workers. - Lunch catered every day. - Great benefits (they’re always trying to review and improve them) - Flexibility with hours - if you’re running late because your child was sick, muni was delayed, etc, they’re very understanding as long as you communicate you’re running behind. They won’t hold this against you. - WFH: You have the opportunity to wfh once a week as long as you don’t have any important projects or meetings you need to be there in person for. - Open to ideas - Collaborative - Great work life balance. If you’re coming from a company that overworked you and you’re feeling like that’s the norm, they’ll check-in with you to make sure you know you’re not expected to work insane hours. If there are projects where you do need to work longer than usual, the company will make sure you feel appreciated for spending longer hours at the office and have in the past catered breakfast or bought some tasty treats. - I can’t speak for every manager but mine was absolutely amazing. She was always willing to listen to my ideas and gave great feedback to to help me improve.

Cons

The only tiny complaint I ever had was a few employees (seriously, just a few, most people understood) don’t understand WFH is a perk, not a mandatory right and sometimes you'll need to change your WFH day. But even then when it came down to it, people would change their WFH to accommodate a meeting. So honestly, for me it was a very positive experience with basically no cons.

"A hard pass"

2.0

I worked at Kiddom full-time

Pros

They are working in a great industry K12 is important to most people Plenty of real world classroom and school experience

Cons

Highly crowded marketplace Products not ready for primetime Marketing needs help (website looks same as it did 2 years ago) Too much micro management Not enough business experience No career path to speak of HR team is lacking Possible funding issues especially now

Continue reading

Kiddom Response

May 6, 2020Head of Talent

My first thought when reading this review is that the reviewer doesn’t work at this company and hasn't for a while. There is no relevant or current info as to how well our business is doing. Beyond the edgy title, they list cons that are blatantly false or are inferences based on old information. The cons are essentially describing a fictional company as nothing bears a resemblance to Kiddom. If you are wondering why someone might write this sort misleading review, I can share that Kiddom made some needed changes to the team late last year. Immediately after, there seems to have been a campaign on Glassdoor where we are slandered anonymously by ex-employees. This sort of toxicity and vitriol has made it clear that we're simply better off for making those changes. That reality stings as none of these changes were easy. Even in hindsight, we believe the changes were absolutely necessary and believe we made the right choice. Kiddom's current business is strong. We're making millions, have no issues raising money to scale, and have leveled up the team substantially in the last year. A likely byproduct of making hard changes to our team is that we are now on a solid growth path. I think that at least partially proves our course correction worked in a significant way. I also notice a consistent theme in these negative reviews, "The HR team" always seems to be called out, yet no specific details are ever given as to why HR is a supposed problem. The reason for that is simple: people impacted by a re-org tend to blame the messenger and rarely does self-reflection of any kind make it into their reviews. We are a stronger org because we have a proactive and competent HR function. Kiddom is building a performance culture and that can be inherently offputting to people who don't perform in their roles.

Discover more reviews about Kiddom.