Kiewit Corporation - It can be whatever you want it to be. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Kiewit Corporation

"It can be whatever you want it to be."

Current Employee - Accountant in Omaha, NE
Current Employee - Accountant in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Kiewit Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Ability to have your voice heard, even if you're fresh out of school.
Above-average amount of responsibility put on new members willing to take on a challenge.
Excellent avenues for collaboration enhancing your ability to build a strong intracompany network.

Cons

Team members aren't necessarily rewarded for the challenges they take on.
Promotions are based heavily on seniority.
Can at times have an environment that is competitive to a fault within the company.

Advice to Management

Although cross-training is preached, it is rarely practiced. A few HR functions could enhance this:
1) Create a consistent, current org chart.
2) Career postings within the organization should convey who the hiring manager actually is.

Other Employee Reviews for Kiewit Corporation

"Everything you learn you are expected to figure out on your own."

Current Employee - Field Engineer in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Field Engineer in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Kiewit Corporation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The staff you work with are generally really fun.

Cons

The typical work week is over 60 hours.

"It's Fine If You Are Single"

Current Employee - Field Engineer
    Current Employee - Field Engineer

I have been working at Kiewit Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working on large domestic projects. Safety Culture for field personnel is well put together.

Cons

I do not work directly for Kiewit but I am on one of their joint venture projects and get to see how they treat their people. Yes all the reviews you see here about work life balance are true. 55 to 65 expected of you each week. No overtime or uplift. Expect to be burnt out!

Their is no guarantee you will get into the stock program either. This company revolves on cronyism. If you are in good with someone you will get into the program. Once you are in the program you will find the stock program is not all that it is cracked up to be. They want you to borrow $30,000 to get into the program to start off with. (That's like borrowing money to put into your 401K!)

Some years the company buys back stock from you without any prior notice. What that means is when they buy back portions of the stock you pay capitol gains taxes as well as income taxes on that money!!! It's like if your employer were to start cashing out portions of your 401K, sending you the check and then you have to pay taxes on it! I have even heard senior level management complain about this program. People with stock leave this company all the time. It's not that great of a incentive program at $211 a share.

So for those of you who do not make it into the stock program their lovely 401K program vesting scheme will surely help you bottom line. 5 years to be 100% vested 3 years 20%. Most people out of college do not make it past 3 years!

High Turnover. Most people leave after three years because of work life balance and they can get paid the same or more working with a local contractor. 2% raises every year for 3 years that will make you quit for sure!

Oh and one more thing before I go. They make their field engineers do homework and write essays outside of work. So you work 12 hours then go home and do more! I would rather get my MBA than do stupid classes that are not recognized by anyone in the industry!

Advice to Management

I honestly don't think you care at all about your people. Thanks for the experiences.