Employee Review

1. 4.0
    Current Employee

Great opportunities for driven professionals

Sep 4, 2016 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Company's core purpose is to see its employees flourish and that is 100% true. The practice builder model allows project managers to pursue the work they are most passionate about. For those supporting these individuals, there is a similar entrepreneurial spirit... everyone has the opportunities to build their own 'practice' within the firm

Cons

People work hard here.. sometimes at the expense of work-life balance. It is an intense, fast-paced work environment, and that is not for everyone.

6 people found this review helpful
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Fantastic Culture

May 15, 2021 - Civil Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

I don’t even know where to begin. They were very prepared and planned for my first day and everything was so well organized and thorough. They have training videos for a lot of different softwares that were made specifically for Kimley Horn, as well as just training videos about the company overall and how things operate. There is so much less bureaucracy at KH compared to other large firms and the interaction among people in the office is unlike any other office I’ve seen. Everyone is talkative, social, easy to approach, and friendly. It’s very easy to make friends at KH because of their culture. The work itself is a lot, but they pay generously and have really great benefits like an amazing 401K match, decent health insurance, a good amount of PTO, and annual bonuses/profit sharing. KH has been the best place I’ve worked so far.

Cons

Using PTO counts against your utilization which is very important for your annual bonus. There’s also so much work and it seems like we can’t hire people fast enough to keep up with the amount of work there is to do.

Continue reading
    Be the first to find this review helpful

Kimley-Horn Response

Team Member

We’re pleased to hear that you’re enjoying your experience with us. As a firm, we take seriously our commitment to providing an environment for our people to flourish; the trainings and supportive culture you’ve experienced are two key components in that commitment. We do want to provide some peace of mind that UT calculations account for your PTO and we want everyone to take the time off that they’ve earned. Thanks again for sharing your feedback with us and we wish you continued success as you grow your career.

2. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Good Company, but Bad Work life Balance

Jun 5, 2021 - Civil Analyst in Atlanta, GA
    Business Outlook

Pros

-The benefits (401k, Health Insurance, HSA) are excellent. Better than their competitors. -Top of their field. You get to work on high-profile projects with big name clients. -Young employees are trained well and pushed to become very good in their fields. -You are given as many opportunities as you want to grow your career.

Cons

-Long hours and lack of work life balance. -Company rarely says no to work, causing overloads that burn employees out. -You must work 6+ years at the firm to get the full retirement benefits. -Base compensation+bonus is not much better than competitors who require less work hours. -Environment can be overly competitive. -Kimley-Horn focuses too much on hours worked to the point where there is constant stress to consistently get enough hours in, even during slow times.

Continue reading
    10 people found this review helpful

Discover more reviews about Kimley-Horn.