Kimley-Horn - Great company for the ambitious. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Kimley-Horn

"Great company for the ambitious."

Current Employee - Civil Analyst
Current Employee - Civil Analyst

I have been working at Kimley-Horn full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Kimley-Horn is focused on profit and sharing that profit in a rewarding way. The benefits + bonus program + profit sharing make the hard work mostly worth it. I feel that I receive the recognition I feel I deserve. I've gotten involved in a lot of marketing and office management which I really enjoy and get to learn a lot from. I respect the KHA culture, but find that it sometimes lacks "legs" in that it is not always implemented everywhere all the time. There are lots of great, knowledgeable folks at KHA and many that are focused on growing and helping junior staff. Those are the people with which I focus on building relationships. I really enjoy my job because of the culture in my office and relationships I've formed with my colleagues.

Cons

By far, the worst part about KHA is the long hours and seemingly non-existant work-life balance. It seems that in the beginning stages of one's tenure at KHA, you spend very long hours in the office while the senior staff does much less. I think it's a form of "paying your dues." UT (%age of your time billable to a client) can drive you crazy, but if you have plan and follow through it is not hard to make that goal without completely sacrificing your life. I think the key is taking ownership of your role and schedule and making it work before it gets out of hand. I do find that there is some secretive-ness at times, but that is not true of all senior staff, offices, or regions. I wish that KHA would spend more time growing their staff through training instead of their "throw you in the water and see if you swim" approach. I believe that is why so many young staff leave KHA, because they don't have good role models and they are expected to do too much too quickly for too little recognition and with too little tools.

Advice to Management

Focus on building a good foundation with your entry-level and junior staff. Training is important. Listen to us because we are telling you what we need.

Other Employee Reviews for Kimley-Horn

1. "Great work environment for young people."

Current Employee - Engineer in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Kimley-Horn full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people. People are nice.

Cons

Not enough work. To go around.

Advice to Management

Seek out more work.

"Live to work... Or you're out!"

Former Employee - Civil Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Civil Engineer in San Diego, CA

I worked at Kimley-Horn full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Profit sharing and bonuses, and that's it.

Cons

Base pay is substandard with the promise that if you work hard you "may" receive a bonus to make up for it at the end of the year. Employees grind through a MINIMUM of 46 hours per week (many times 50+ hrs) with the thought of the gold at the end of the rainbow. As I've experienced over my 10 years with the company, after the higher-ups take their share there many times is little left for those who actually do the work.

Like I said, it is a KHA WRITTEN POLICY that you must work a MINIMUM of 46 hrs per week! Believe it!

I fit into the KHA mold and excelled, until I got married and had a child. Once I cut my hours back from 55-60 to 46 the system no longer worked for me. This is a VERY common problem here for employees with young families.

Health insurance is terrible. It was one of the first things that went down hill in the recession. I don't go to the doctor anymore because it's too expensive. Another example of management not willing to put their profits where they're needed the most.

Advice to Management

Profitability can be a very good thing, but not at the expense of a vast majority of your employees' happiness. You will be losing a large number of your best employees this year and next due to the fact that upper management is not willing to make a compromise.