Kimley-Horn - Potential for great pay and benefits...at a steep price | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Kimley-Horn

"Potential for great pay and benefits...at a steep price"

Former Employee - Civil Analyst
Former Employee - Civil Analyst

I worked at Kimley-Horn full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work with smart, innovative, hard-working people with plenty of technical expertise. Potential for great pay in the form of bonuses and profit sharing (when business is good). In some regions, the company wins many high-profile transit projects which is great for resume-building and experience for younger staff. Great if you are young, single, or have a spouse and kids you don't mind not seeing very often.

Cons

You are required to work 115-120% effort (46-48 hours per week) on average, so basically an extra day of work each week. This is doable when you are young in your career, energetic and excited about a project, but can be frustrating, exhausting and lead to major burnout after a while, especially if you don't feel you're being recognized for your contributions. They don't give young engineers any field experience (they have construction inspectors to do this) and if they have you doing CAD (when it's not being done by trained technicians) they give you no or inadequate training (that would be too expensive and they're reluctant to really invest in their young staff). Without an upper-level manager who is a great mentor, it's nearly impossible to rise through the ranks. If you are a young woman who wants children, there are very few roles that will accomodate that well. Unless you have a spouse or partner with a very flexible work schedule, child care pick-up and drop-off could be darn near impossible since typical hours are 7:30 am - 5:30 pm M-Th with half days on Fridays (but really you need to work into the afternoon to get your 46-48 hours...). The company has strong southeastern roots and very conservative values - most of the upper management are white males with spouses who are able to stay home, raise children and take care of everything outside of work. Only the very best of the best (read: always willing to work long hours and put work above everything else at all times) can really make a lifetime career here.

Advice to Management

Although it will affect the bottom line, ease up on the "extra effort" mentality and hire some extra staff so your current staff doesn't need to work as many hours. Take care of your employees by fostering mentoring and training - make it clear that you really want to make an investment in people. They will be happier and more likely to want to stick with the company long term, throughout all of the changes in their personal lives (marriage, kids, etc.). There is a lot of talk about work-life balance, but upper management doesn't demonstrate this so it makes it hard for people, especially young parents, to imaging juggling both.

Other Employee Reviews for Kimley-Horn

1. "Good Civil Engineering Firm"

I worked at Kimley-Horn full-time

Pros

Competitive salary and benefits. Knowledgeable staff. High profile clients. Great job satisfaction. Open career paths. Good personal goal/reward scenarios.

Cons

Long hours compared to similar firms. Limited internal education opportunities. Mandatory utilization requirements. Strict time-off policy. Too much management and overhead.

Advice to Management

Flatten the hierarchical management structure.

2. "Great company for the ambitious."

Current Employee - Civil Analyst
    Current Employee - Civil Analyst

I have been working at Kimley-Horn full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Kimley-Horn is focused on profit and sharing that profit in a rewarding way. The benefits + bonus program + profit sharing make the hard work mostly worth it. I feel that I receive the recognition I feel I deserve. I've gotten involved in a lot of marketing and office management which I really enjoy and get to learn a lot from. I respect the KHA culture, but find that it sometimes lacks "legs" in that it is not always implemented everywhere all the time. There are lots of great, knowledgeable folks at KHA and many that are focused on growing and helping junior staff. Those are the people with which I focus on building relationships. I really enjoy my job because of the culture in my office and relationships I've formed with my colleagues.

Cons

By far, the worst part about KHA is the long hours and seemingly non-existant work-life balance. It seems that in the beginning stages of one's tenure at KHA, you spend very long hours in the office while the senior staff does much less. I think it's a form of "paying your dues." UT (%age of your time billable to a client) can drive you crazy, but if you have plan and follow through it is not hard to make that goal without completely sacrificing your life. I think the key is taking ownership of your role and schedule and making it work before it gets out of hand. I do find that there is some secretive-ness at times, but that is not true of all senior staff, offices, or regions. I wish that KHA would spend more time growing their staff through training instead of their "throw you in the water and see if you swim" approach. I believe that is why so many young staff leave KHA, because they don't have good role models and they are expected to do too much too quickly for too little recognition and with too little tools.

Advice to Management

Focus on building a good foundation with your entry-level and junior staff. Training is important. Listen to us because we are telling you what we need.