Kinder Morgan - Where careers go to die | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Kinder Morgan

"Where careers go to die"

I worked at Kinder Morgan full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It's a job. If you are 4-5 years away from retirement, go for it!

Cons

Unless you are a lifer and can sit through about 20-30 years worth of brain erasing 8-to-5 stuff, filling our spreadsheets for your bosses without making a single decision, without having any say in what's going on whatsoever... do NOT even bother. Even VP level guys barely make any decisions in KM. Director level guys are bragging about managing 5-6 million dollar projects. Perhaps after being burned in Enron, Richard Kinder doesn't want anybody to make any decisions ever.

I don't know a single person who left KM and wasn't happy afterwards. I suffered through 3 years of this stuff until it was painfully obvious that I wasn't going anywhere while watching guys with much less education and experience getting promoted because somebody is pushing them up or pulling them up. You are completely screwed if you don't have any connections in that company. And to develop those kinds of connection, you need to be there 10-15 years. If you are ready for that, more power to you.

I left KM for a job with much more responsibility and MUCH better pay. That is also a recurring theme between most people who leave KM - more responsibility and better pay.

Advice to Management

I don't even know why I should bother. Management doesn't listen anyway.

Other Employee Reviews for Kinder Morgan

1. "Awful experience - terrible local and Senior Regional managment"

Former Employee - Rather Not Say in Carteret, NJ
    Former Employee - Rather Not Say in Carteret, NJ

I worked at Kinder Morgan full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Nothing positive to say really not a word

Cons

Local management is incompetent and fearful of anyone with potential so in fear they attack and try to remove what they perceive as a threat. If your are competent you want to go somewhere else ths place will waste your time.

Advice to Management

Do an HR survey at the local terminal level and ask for specifics on the current VP right on down and you will have a clear pcture of the core issue.

2. "Great Place to Work"

Pros

Enjoyed the no nonsense approach to things.

Cons

Not much mobility to move up