Kinder Morgan - So far the company has treated me well | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Kinder Morgan

"So far the company has treated me well"

Pros

competetive salary and training program

Cons

only production focus is on EOR, very little primary production work.

Other Employee Reviews for Kinder Morgan

"Natural gas piplines need to watch effects of Elpaso merger closely"

Current Employee - Technician
    Current Employee - Technician

I have been working at Kinder Morgan full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good benifits wages have increased and have been competitive. People are great to work with but this can be diffrent depending on work area and group. Bonuses have gotten better.

Cons

First line supervisors are grossly under payed the company is loosing good supervisors left and right main reasons are hardships with the Elpaso merger, they do not supervise they have been turned in to bean counters and have little or no assistance from corprate. Elpaso merger has been especially hard the company has gotten too big too quick you would have thought that Elpaso has bought Kinder Morgan with all the policy changes that have been put in place. Make employees fill out "Saftey Observations" to tell on other employees. They have adopted Elpaso saftey philosophies even though Elpaso's saftey record is horrible compared to Kinder Morgans. Bounses are not preformance based like they are told to be everyone in a work group gets the same amount. Field employees used to get sock options and able to buy stock at a discount they have slowly taken away things and not given anything back.

Advice to Management

Look hard at the new culture that is evolving if it was not broken before then why change it. Put more responsiblity on area managers and let the supervisors do their jobs and supervise. Watch the Elpaso management closely they are weak there is a reason they where able to be bought out dont follow in those foot steps.

"Where careers go to die"

I worked at Kinder Morgan full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It's a job. If you are 4-5 years away from retirement, go for it!

Cons

Unless you are a lifer and can sit through about 20-30 years worth of brain erasing 8-to-5 stuff, filling our spreadsheets for your bosses without making a single decision, without having any say in what's going on whatsoever... do NOT even bother. Even VP level guys barely make any decisions in KM. Director level guys are bragging about managing 5-6 million dollar projects. Perhaps after being burned in Enron, Richard Kinder doesn't want anybody to make any decisions ever.

I don't know a single person who left KM and wasn't happy afterwards. I suffered through 3 years of this stuff until it was painfully obvious that I wasn't going anywhere while watching guys with much less education and experience getting promoted because somebody is pushing them up or pulling them up. You are completely screwed if you don't have any connections in that company. And to develop those kinds of connection, you need to be there 10-15 years. If you are ready for that, more power to you.

I left KM for a job with much more responsibility and MUCH better pay. That is also a recurring theme between most people who leave KM - more responsibility and better pay.

Advice to Management

I don't even know why I should bother. Management doesn't listen anyway.