Kindercare - Only Cares About Money | Glassdoor

"Only Cares About Money"

Current Employee - Twos Teacher in Tulsa, OK
Current Employee - Twos Teacher in Tulsa, OK

I have been working at Kindercare full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

They are paying for me to get my Childhood Development Associate.

Cons

Where should I start?

There is so much disconnect between what happens in the classroom and the decisions corporate makes that running a classroom as it should becomes very difficult.

They want you do do curriculum but they don't want to pay for supplies.

They want you do follow all kinds of ridiculous policies and do all kinds of little things that don't make sense. If you keep up with all those things it makes it hard to actually get things done for the kids. You can not have any overtime yet they don't give you any planning period. The only downtime is nap time but you have an endless list of things to accomplish it's impossible to get everything done.

The center directors are awful about favoritism. If there are complaints about a teacher's attitude towards the kids & parents it will be ignored because the teacher is friends with the director.

They spend a lot of money on promotional items that the parents just throw away. It's like the company will spend money on everything but their teachers.

I could go on and on but there is no point. A lot has changed in the 5 years I've worked for the company but things keep getting worse. I would quit but then they would stop paying for my CDA classes and I can't afford that.

Advice to Management

Stop spending money on pointless things and invest in your teachers. Giving them adequate raises will make them happier and will help them put time and effort back into the company.

Other Employee Reviews for Kindercare

"Very stressfull, multi-tasking constantly. Great management! director great pay"

Former Employee - Preschool Teacher in Farmington, CT
    Former Employee - Preschool Teacher in Farmington, CT

I worked at Kindercare full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The salary is the best around for childcare. The children and families are wonderful. The hours are long and 9 hour days with an hour for lunch not an option no flex time. Must be flexible in your hours.

Cons

Stressfull working conditions, Taking attendance every half hour. Giving children medicine - no nurse or manager to do this. no privacy for the students with regard to medication administration. Not accredited and high price for parents to pay not being accredited , but staff is well-trained and provides loving, safe care.

Advice to Management

Hire a nurse to administer medication or do it yourself. it should not be being done by teachers who are responsible for all the other children at the same time and the student should have privacy with regard to his health issues.

"First Out of College Teaching Position and the Worst Job"

Former Employee - Lead Teacher II (3 5-4 5 Years Old) in East Brunswick, NJ
    Former Employee - Lead Teacher II (3 5-4 5 Years Old) in East Brunswick, NJ

I worked at Kindercare full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Got to make a difference in children's lives. Met an amazing group of children. First Teaching Job to land

Cons

Everything else. The center was understaffed almost everyday. I was in the class of 3.5-4.5 years old where the ration is 1:10. So often they would push the kids on me. I would usually have 11 to 12 in the class. And my center director would tell me that I’m fine. Yet the teacher next door had the same ratio and she couldn’t possibly be over 10 or it would be the end of the world. What is this discrimination? There was definitely favoritism in this place. They drastically dropped my hours one month. The center Director said that she was over on labor hours, as her reason. My shift went from 8 hours per day to 4-5 hours. Yet other staff were getting full shifts. What is this? You say you’re short on hours but yet you have to give full shifts to others. Please give me a break. The Kindergarten teacher whose ratio is 1:15 only had 4 students in her class and she had full work days. In the meantime I have a full class and my hours get cut. I am not going to be like the Kindergarten teacher who kisses behinds by spending her lunch breaks in the Directors Office. No thanks I have better things to do. And when I tried to reach out to Corporation on issues it was impossible to reach them. They do not have a direct phone number or email for Human Resources and anyone.

Advice to Management

Start seeing what working with children really means. It is not pushing the kids around in classrooms just to save money.And pushing the children on teachers; putting them over ratio. Just to save money. You obviously don't care about the children.