Kindred Healthcare - Discouraged but not defeated. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Kindred Healthcare

"Discouraged but not defeated."

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Dover, NH
Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Dover, NH

Pros

The type of nursing is very physically and emotionally challenging. The type of patients have so many different needs. Most of the patients we take care of go home, this is very satisfying, as this is a team effort with PT, OT, ST, SS, and of course, nursing. The patients we get to take care of, are usually there for awhile, so we get to know them, therefore we are able to more accurately assess their needs in a more timely manner. There are so many people I work with that are such caring and compassionate individuals, it is inspiring. There are many people that are so hardworking, it inspires me to continue to do so.

Cons

I know that nurses with less experience than myself are making more money. There needs to be strict salary guidelines based on experience. An experienced nurse with a good attitude is an asset. I have worked for more than three years and have never received an evaluation. I know that there have been male nurses making more than me, saw the paychecks because they showed me at various times. I am happy for them, and do not resent them for it, however I am not too happy for myself. I am sure this happens everywhere, but it needs to stop.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees, make sure everyone is getting paid a fair salary. Give your employees yearly evaluations. What kind of example do you show your employees when you do not do this. The message could be that you do not respect what they offer. Constructive criticism along with praise, is meaningful. If you do not take the time to do your job, how can you expect that from your employees? If you do not have the time, initiate peer evaluations. Give this a chance, it works. I try to never go a shift without sincerely complimenting my nurses aid, and/or a therapist. If you are in a bad mood, do not let this show. Your employees are looking up to you. You set the mood, and you set the pace. You have a lot of people dedicated to a very difficult job, they look up to you. Be mindful of that.

Other Employee Reviews for Kindred Healthcare

1. "Kindred may be too big to know what goes on at the local levels."

Former Employee - Charge Nurse in Rockland, ME
    Former Employee - Charge Nurse in Rockland, ME

Pros

Kindred Healthcare is a national company and on the NYSE so there probably is the possibliity of relocation if an employee wanted to move to other parts of the US. Within the state, there are multiple towns/cities which have work areas that are generally open to Kindred employees. Some of the in-state facilities have great, caring, steady management and in those places, employees seem happy to be there. Pay is good to very good for the area.

Cons

In our area, management changes frequently, disrupting any communication flow that might have been started with the employees. Because of this, the employees in many of the facilities seem to be divided and "gangs" form with the result that the work environment becomes one of contention rather than cooporation and support. The people that we are there to serve are the real losers because of the unsettled nature created by poor leadership. Because of the focus on the bottomline, employees find it difficult to give really good, attentive care. Health Benefits are costly, but better than the alternative of having none.

Advice to Management

Hire managers and supervisors that have adequate knowledge of the healthcare environment. Give adequate support and training to help them in their role.

"If you want to be a drone, this is the place to be."

Current Employee - Training Developer in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Training Developer in Louisville, KY

Pros

Salary is not acceptable. Central location.

Cons

The management in my particular area is completely dysfunctional. There is a disconcerting lack of integrity. The good employees leave, are chased out or let go, and the marginal ones stay. Ingratiating behavior is expected, even while management treats staff with disrespect in regard to abilities, intelligence, and desire for career advancement.

Advice to Management

Put in place an evaluation system that allows employees to evaluate their managers. Ask staff for feedback. Treat people with the respect and integrity that Kindred trumpets in its mission statement.