Kindred Healthcare - Management - TRAIN your staff | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Kindred Healthcare

"Management - TRAIN your staff"

Former Employee - Social Service Specialist in Larkspur, CA
Former Employee - Social Service Specialist in Larkspur, CA

I worked at Kindred Healthcare full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Transitional care means changing patients, most of whom are grateful for the care. Long terms nurses are dedicated and excellent. Psychologist is on top of his game.

Cons

The mix of LTC and rehab is a challenge to balance. While Kaiser is responsive to staff, many private doctors are aloof and need prodding to respond to requests.

Advice to Management

Train your new staff; be willing to invest in the people you hire

Other Employee Reviews for Kindred Healthcare

"Worst job I ever had"

Former Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse/Unit Secretary in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse/Unit Secretary in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Kindred Healthcare full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They will hire anybody. They have benefits.Locations all over. It's a 24/7 provider, if you are an important person, or have money, you will be treated better than someone with less. They do have priority patients. For what it's worth they do have an employee hotline, but not sure it's private.

Cons

Poor training, especially for new grads. Administrator and management staff very abusive to staff, lots of yelling. You can be fired for no reason, they make one up and then don't fight unemployment. Regional and Corporate people don't try to improve anything, just sweep things under the rug and make sure it stays buried. Lots of favortism. Management can be very unprofessional in their speech. Staff doesn't usually work well with each other, lots of infighting and jockeying to be a "favorite." They don't follow their own corporate rules. Even if you have a doctors note to be off work, the DON may still fire you for being absent.

Advice to Management

Learn to take responsibility for mistakes, and actually fix things instead of hiding it. Learn to treat your staff better. Stop tolerating bullyiong in the work place.

"way understaffed. Poor equipment. Watch out."

Former Employee - Respiratory Therapist in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Respiratory Therapist in Louisville, KY

I worked at Kindred Healthcare full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pros? Well, I liked the people I worked with. The Patients appreciated me. Cheap cafeteria food. CEO there is friendly and a 'human being.'

Cons

Equipment and alarm failures for their ventilator connections. broke computers. way understaffed. The clinical officer lady (kinda had an attitude towards the CRTs and RRTs, and same for another DON, for that matter). You'll hear the alarm go off 1,000 times in a day, every 8 seconds(?). I didn't like how they treated an RRT from AZ who came to Louisville and wanted to go back to her home, and they wouldn't let her. When I was there, I believe about 10 people got fired on the LTAC floor and about 8 respiratory therapists got fired. Be careful in that place. For a while there, it seemed a lot patients were dropping like flies on the LTAC floor, left and right. It almost seemed like it 'must've been respiratory's fault.' i guess nobody asks questions, like 'what is up with 3Center?' Is it that hard to see that 3c is uniquely busier, more often than the other floors? At the end of the day, you're 'done.' I had to 'play a perfect game' nearly every shift I was there. If just one or two patients 'go south', watch out and good luck trying to keep up. Have fun moving patients around on ventilators every Wednesday, too. Even the elevators need breathing treatments (very slow). It also seemed nightshift (staff) wasn't the most skilled (motivated?) and you'd be picking up their slack. The Kindred in Louisville is a miracle. The margins are already very tight. You might be cool, but if you're on 3center, watch out.

Advice to Management

Would've been nice if they had put someone in charge of the respiratory dept. from the Kindred downtown instead of bringing in an outsider. It seems that a bunch of people were let go after the new lady came in. How about some better equipment? That, or maybe actually fix room 321's vent alarm hook-up? i think i said it 5 times-over to the DON, the plant operations, and another executive to fix it. Can you fix the computers? Look at the bottom, past the stars, "how would I rate the business outlook?" Well, places like this probably get very far trading publicly since they get to rely on old, broken equipment that is hooked up to obsalescant fixtures. They get to let the clinicians work extra hard to compensate for the shortstaffed, broken equipment-using place that it is. Yeah, the business outlook is probably very good.
     Jeeez, I remember when I told them that the suction in a room didn't work (321 again?) and the maintenance guy came to 'test' it and apparently, it still worked?!?!? Right in front of me. 'Well, i get 50 out of it.' I told him maybe so, but the FIXTURE doesn't sit on the wall correctly, so when i hook up the suction to it, I can hardly get any suction out of it. i can't think of a place that hired and fired so many people and i can't think of a place that had such okey-doke equipment. When i got there in 2008, there were still floppy disks being used (?) in their computers? You know who suffers? The staff suffers. The patients suffer. Hopefully, all the money they 'saved' went into building a better facility that just got built in Seattle. 'Play the game,' take care of your 12-16 patients, and do your 5-8 weans, and hear the alarm 800 times a day. Your whole day will get thrown under the bus. Watch out for the 3c DON, too. i remember seeing executives being shown around in that place, like they were supposed to be impressed. Don't they know how to lend a critical eye? Doesn't anyone even recognize beat up equipment when they see it? A casual observer can see that, right? Good thing i wasn't their tour guide. Don't ask questions. Be careful. 'Play the game,' you need a job.