King County Library System - Former Library Page | Glassdoor

"Former Library Page"

Former Employee - Library Page in Woodinville, WA
Former Employee - Library Page in Woodinville, WA

I worked at King County Library System part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Paid vacation and sick leave for part time staff, regular schedule and public salary information.

This was a great high school job, I wish I could have kept it in college.

Cons

A lot of staff was unhappy and primarily female employees led to some office politics. While I was there, they changed the process for subbing which was unfortunate because I couldn't get hours over the summer like I used to and it would've been nice to still be able to sub after graduation.

Other Employee Reviews for King County Library System

1. "Page job great for students"

Current Employee - Library Page
    Current Employee - Library Page

I have been working at King County Library System part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I love working as a page at KCLS while I finish college.
    My co-workers are friendly and my supervisor is great.
    A library is a great work environment, too.
    I'd recommend it to any student with a good work ethic looking for a job.

Cons

After many years, page work can get repetitive.

2. "Reality behind the shiny exterior"

I have been working at King County Library System part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great co-workers. Non-management branch staff are among the most intelligent, thoughtful, team-oriented, interesting people I have had the opportunity to know.

Cons

Administration: Treats employees like opponents, power plays seem more important than supporting employees to truly serve patrons, money is regularly wasted by administration.

"Hidden" exploitation of staff: Most positions, especially the people you see in the actual branches at the desks, are part time. In order to survive, employees have to add "sub shifts" but schedules don't often provide reasonable ways to do this. As a result, many branch-based "front line" KCLS employees are pretty severely sleep deprived and stressed out, and this state is normalized within the organizational environment.

Advice to Management

I don't think management would be willing to take any advice from employees at this time. I would recommend to the public that we all carefully scrutinize how KCLS is using its rather prodigious funds. This organization is kind of bloated with money and not very good to its employees who provide its public face and actual services.