Kinnser Software - Me and the CEO | Glassdoor

"Me and the CEO"

Current Employee - Marketing & Strategy in Austin, TX
Current Employee - Marketing & Strategy in Austin, TX

I have been working at Kinnser Software full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It was my first week as a new hire; I was still drinking through the fire hose (favorite new hire pastime). I was in a meeting with the VP of Strategy, and a stranger pops in to tell a quick joke. This was my first impression of Kinnser President and CEO, Chris Hester.

Fast-forward to Friday. Chris joined one of our new hire meetings (he seems to have a knack for being aware of little details), and he made a point to meet each of us, learn our names, and officially welcome us to the company. It was there that he casually mentioned something I’ll never forget- his personal twist on the bus analogy.

He told us that what separates good companies from great companies is a lot like an adventurous bus ride. Often times, people panic when stormy weather hits the road or the driver needs to take a break. However, the way Kinnser runs should never change. “It doesn’t matter if someone gets off the bus or if we move seats on the bus. I truly believe we have the best approach to creating a successful business with the best people in place.”

Ten years ago, Chris noticed that a home health agency was losing money, sacrificing time, and desperately needing reorganization. He didn’t just build a product and expect people to buy it. He listened. That is what defines Kinnser’s success--the ability to understand a common pain point and resolve it correctly. Kinnser does not directly supervise the day-to-day care of millions of Americans, but their software empowers those who do.

--Wait, back to the bus…

Again, I was confused at the time, but Chris clarified. He was getting off the Kinnser bus for a few days himself because his wife was expecting their second child two days away!

Since then, I’ve realized just how good of a listener he is. Not just in regards to who I am and where I’m from, but how Chris listens and solves real world problems. So Chris, if this somehow gets to you - congratulations on your newborn son and thanks for making Kinnser a great place to work.

Cons

You may be working for various departments. Take this as an opportunity!

Advice to Management

Consistently ask for employee feedback.

Other Employee Reviews for Kinnser Software

"Great so far"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Kinnser Software full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've been at Kinnser for less than a year, but what I noticed right away was that everyone is really smart and talented. Kinnser has a very intense hiring process which ensures we work with only the best of the best.

Cons

I feel like product priorities change too frequently.

Advice to Management

Provide a mission/vision/goals/objectives that we can use to check all decisions against. If a suggested product change or direction doesn't support the overall vision, then we should delay or not do it so we can focus only on development efforts that get us where we want to go.

"Best company I've ever worked for!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Kinnser Software full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Management is very concerned with employee experience and work conditions. Recent re-evaluation of area/industry wages by the company resulted in a hefty raise as well as even better benefits package. Employees are well cared for.

Cons

In at least one department, promotions are blocked due to management only considering external candidates.

Advice to Management

Keep your focus on hiring, training and retaining good, enthusiastic employees. Ensure that promotion from within is always a possibility.