Kirkland's - To much work for the pay that was offered in my case | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Kirkland's

"To much work for the pay that was offered in my case"

Former Employee - Team Member in Albuquerque, NM
Former Employee - Team Member in Albuquerque, NM

I worked at Kirkland's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

1. Smells nice environment
2. Laid back
3. Customers

Cons

1. More Professionalism by Management
2. Hours were given to favorites
3. Managers would talk about other associates to employees
4. Unhappy place

Advice to Management

Make sure you always keep information quiet about other employees, favoritism should disappear my friend walked out because he was upset with the way he was treated. I call it this sexism in the workplace against males

Other Employee Reviews for Kirkland's

1. "Heavy lifting at Kirkland for sales associates."

Former Employee - Retail Associate in Lancaster, PA
    Former Employee - Retail Associate in Lancaster, PA

I worked at Kirkland's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great merchandise and employee discounts. First hand look at sales and clearance merchandise. Employees were friendly and team players.

Cons

must be able to lift up to 35 lbs. There is no formal training. you must be willing to learn on the job. Job responsibilities includes climbing ladders to pull merchandise for customers.

Advice to Management

sales associates should not have to climb ladders and carry merchandise out to customers cars.

"An okay job for the holidays but nothing long term."

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Boardman, OH
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Boardman, OH

I have been working at Kirkland's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Helps you gain experience working with customers. Also helps you gain experience in the retail field. Other than that I can't say there were too many pros.

Cons

-Minimum wage seemed too low for all the work we did here.

-The back stock room was constantly a mess.
    -There's very minimal room to fully open a ladder in the stock room. This means I either had to lean the ladder against the shelves (EXTREMELY dangerous) or spend 10 minutes moving things out of the way to be able to fully open the ladder.
    -There are red tiles in the stock room which led to the back door that signify the area that is supposed to be clear of items in case of an emergency. I had never once seen all of the red floor tiles uncovered. If there was an emergency and for some reason we had to evacuate customers out the back door it would be dangerous.
    -Some of the product was stacked so high in the stock room on the shelves that I felt uncomfortable trying to get it down or put more up on the shelf.
    -There have been many time's I've considered calling someone higher up to complain about how dangerous the stock room is but I honestly have no idea who to call. There's also the chance that they would just tell our store to clean it up. The problem is the lack of space and over abundance of merchandise.

-When the district manager would visit the store, she would say that she "hates" a display or where a product would be located. If we asked her where a better placement would be she would change the subject. After visits we would have to move so many things around.

-Floor resets seemed to happen so often that customers would frequently come into the store and say "well I was here last week end and [item name] was right here but it's not anymore!"

-Shipment is done by the regular employees. The truck is supposed to be unloaded in an hour. It's doable, but a lot of the merchandise is heavy or bulky which makes it hard to unload and hard to carry.

-The closing employees have to stay until 9:55 PM. By the time they leave the mall has shut off all of their outside lights. The security guards have also left the mall by then. So there is usually two (MAYBE 3 if you're lucky) female employees walking out of the mall to their cars with a bag of money to drive to the bank alone. Extremely dangerous and uncomfortable.