Kiwi Crate - Worst professional experience of my entire life--just absolutely terrible place to work. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Kiwi Crate

"Worst professional experience of my entire life--just absolutely terrible place to work."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Kiwi Crate full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

For all of those who love working with children, other working parents, and creative teams focused on exciting products--BEWARE of Kiwi Crate! They talk a big talk about their focus on delightful creative materials, and I couldn't have possibly felt more decieved after mere weeks in the office. I can't say one of my "pros" for taking the job actually held up.

Cons

Staff members work like drones in a silent, tense office environment (interrupted by bizarre, obnoxious "bonding" activities), and are supported by a never-ending loop of contract employees. I've met several people who were told they were contract-to-hire, only to be let go the minute they began submitting invoices and asking to meet with managers. Absolutely terrible founders/management--they make getting paid a humilating, pleading experience. The few talented+friendly staff members are strecthed so thin, they have no positive influence on the abysmal office morale. Almost everything is sourced from China, and their disorganization is baffling (and far worse than any other startup I've ever worked at). The founder is the most difficult, disrespectful manager I've ever encountered. Literally 2% of their time and effort was actually spent discussing child development and appropriate materials...how did this collection of people put a children's company together?? There is nowhere to go at this place--I don't believe they will ever grow their subscription service from where it is (unless they start focusing on the needs of their target audience, and ditch top management). I'm all for paying dues and the go-to-the-action startup attitude--Kiwi Crate is, bottom line, just a miserable place to work.

Advice to Management

Stop decieving new hires about the terms of their position, and find a better way to pay contractors/staff. Force managers and cofounders to take some sort of training (social skills, professional behavior, business management--everything!), and work on office transparency and communication. Plan more effectively, and be more careful with potentially toxic materials you're shipping to children. Mainly, I hope no one has to go through what many of us experienced. No one deserves the life this company gives you!

Other Employee Reviews for Kiwi Crate

1. "Great product, mission and people"

I have been working at Kiwi Crate full-time

Pros

In addition to great product, mission and people, the company is collaborative and the opportunities for continued growth are significant.

Cons

The focus on customers and brand can sometimes lead to slower decision making than you'd expect given company size and mean there is a very high bar for quality.

"Cute product, tense environment"

Pros

Work directly on products
    Free lunch twice a week with assistance on other days
    Talented, creative team
    Product is cute

Cons

Too much work and not enough time (or you work whatever hours it takes to get it done)
    Micromanagement
    Lack of organization/process
    Not all departments or employees are treated equally, which creates a tense environment. Like others mentioned, it's ironic for a children's toy company.

Advice to Management

Value your employees and their time and ideas. You need them to make all of your ambitions possible.