Kixeye - Move fast, work hard, learn a lot and have a blast | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Kixeye

"Move fast, work hard, learn a lot and have a blast"

Current Employee - Senior Gameplay Engineer in San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Senior Gameplay Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Kixeye full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Disclosure: I felt compelled to write a review for KIXEYE after reading some of the bogus reviews here. Voluntary attrition is extremely low and I can think of one or maybe two people who have voluntarily left in the last 9 months that I know of. I very much appreciate that fact that the teams don't do improvement plans and are quick to get rid of someone toxic or who isn't pulling their weight. I relocated to San Francisco for this job, so maybe it's the culture in general in the area, but I appreciate it. There are obvious examples of people who misrepresented themselves during the interview process. You can find their stories here.

Anyway, coming from a much slower moving company I enjoy the speed in which we work. I feel like we are on the verge of something really great. I was working on one of the existing games and then moved to a new game not yet released. I can say it's exciting to see things progress and even if this was the worst work environment, I'd still want to stay and see this game delivered. Thankfully that's not the case and I love working with my team. I'm constantly challenged and I'm learning. After 12 years in the industry, I don't think I can do much better unless I was running my own company.

The sexism rumors are not true from what I have observed. There are certainly some engineers on my team who might lack tact and sufficient social skills who say awkward things, but I'd encourage people to check it out for themselves and realize it's a pretty accepting place. The CEO is an easy target because he is direct and opinionated and I'm sure he's rubbed more than a few the wrong way but I agree with most of the decisions he has made. I thought criticisms of him were warranted at first, but I realized he has a very dry sense of humor and doesn't have much of a filter so he says what's on his mind.

Anyway, the Pros:
- Fun work
- Learning a lot and challenged
- Amazing team
- Good pay and quarterly bonuses
- Convenient office in downtown SF
- "unlimited" vacation

Cons

- Work pace can be brutal. Have worked a few weekends here and there
- Had a very bad experience with my former manager and management should have acted sooner - fortunately, he was terminated
- The office is getting crowded.
- Lot's of new faces - I don't know a lot of people outside of my team
- The shared tech needs lots of work

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing and more of it.

Other Employee Reviews for Kixeye

"A great place to work!"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Kixeye full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company is really dedicated to making great products and providing a good life for their staff, they don't just pay lip service to either of those goals.

Cons

If you can't handle a fast-moving environment, this might not be the place for you.

"Beware of working here"

I worked at Kixeye full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good benefits, free meals, located right in downtown SF and gain some good work experience in a fast pace environment.

Cons

There are a lot of cocky men that work at Kixeye. They make sexist jokes weekly and seem to think that women are worthless to them. If you don't laugh along with their mean jokes, then they will definitely make you feel like an outcast.

Advice to Management

Stop being sexist and pay attention to how your underlings treat others.