Kmart - Nice Part time job while in college | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Kmart

"Nice Part time job while in college"

Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in Winter Park, FL
Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in Winter Park, FL

I worked at Kmart part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Works around schedule, meet lots of different people.

Cons

Pay, moral of some people are bad and so co workers were very lazy.

Advice to Management

Clean up some of the stores, really needs to put money back into the store and have better reviews of management and see if the person is quailified.

Other Employee Reviews for Kmart

1. "Don't expect too much from it"

Former Employee - Cashier in West Columbia, SC
    Former Employee - Cashier in West Columbia, SC

I worked at Kmart part-time

Pros

It's easy to get hired. Sometimes I was able to be away from the main check-out area - I would work the registers in electronics or jewelry/cosmetics, straighten aisles, or stock returned merchandise. That was nice.

Cons

This is the type of place you go to just to have a job. Managers seemed to assume, at all times, that we were slacking off or doing something dishonest. Myself and the other cashiers were basically ignored unless we did something wrong. You only learn this job by trial-and-error - do something until you get reprimanded for it. We were expected to do things that would benefit supervisors and managers, yet they gave us no support in return. For example: one head cashier told us to finish counting our registers quickly...because the sooner we left, the more sleep she could get before going to her second job in the morning.

Advice to Management

You reap what you sow. When you don't care about your employees, you will only end up with more employees who don't care about the job they do for you.

"Good for a job, not a career"

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Bridgehampton, NY
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Bridgehampton, NY

I have been working at Kmart full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule to work around school.

Cons

Minimal pay for hourly employees. If you are able to become a salaried employee, initial pay is good but then raises are minimal to non existent. Also after you become salary, hours become very unreasonable. You have to trade your family life for a steady paycheck. CEO shows no interest in reinvesting into his own company, budget cuts take priority over customer service leaving practically no one in the store to help the customer amongst a staff that is already stretched too thin. Store closings prevent opportunity for advancement in order to make more money to make up for the lack of raises. Medical benefits are awful and combined with the lack of raises/advancement make it practically impossible to have this as a career so you can have a family. In short, a good place to work around your school schedule so you can work towards a career worth having.

Advice to Management

Reinvest in the company, better benefits, raises for employees and more opportunity for advancement. People are reluctant to work hard when you are unlikely to be rewarded.