Kmart - A good place to start out | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Kmart

"A good place to start out"

Former Employee - ASM, Softlines Merchandiser in Temecula, CA
Former Employee - ASM, Softlines Merchandiser in Temecula, CA

I worked at Kmart part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I loved all my co workers and all of my managers were really awesome. It was a fun place to work at for my first job. I was a softlines merchandiser always work to do every single day on the floor. The people who worked in hardlines seemed to walk around all the time doing nothing! I envied them just walking around the store having nothing to do while the girls on the floor were so busy!

Cons

the intimates department was a mess i swear none of the girls in softlines ever did intimates it was a wreck. Whenever a girl was appointed that position to work on it would never get done. That was just at my store thought don't really know which spots are the worst ones.

Other Employee Reviews for Kmart

"A dying company"

Current Employee - Loss Prevention Team Leader in McMurray, PA
    Current Employee - Loss Prevention Team Leader in McMurray, PA

I have been working at Kmart full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you are a terrible employee you will never have to worry about being fired once you make it past your 90 days.

Cons

Kmart sets impossible goals for it's employees and fails to hold anybody accountable for incompetence and failure. If you're looking for a place to succeed when you are a failure Kmart is your place to go.

Advice to Management

A failure to give raises to employees for the past 4 years has provided new employees with no incentive to acheive above and beyond or grow. Terrible employees are kept on because the Kmart mantra is "well who is going to replace them". My advice for Kmart management is to stop paying minimum wage to all employees. Start out at least $8.00 an hour so we aren't getting the very bottom of the barrel employee wise. Stop spending hundreds of thousands of dollars on stupid culture meetings and instead give your employees a raise. A positive review with no monetary compensation means nothing and is essentially a slap in the face that kills all motivation.

2. "Good co-workers, horrible store managment"

Former Employee - Cashier in Rocklin, CA
    Former Employee - Cashier in Rocklin, CA

I worked at Kmart part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Easy work, good job for a high-schooler, my store was very well kept, got to deal with great repeat customers.

Cons

Pay raises almost non-existent, store management was like a dictatorship and used harsh favoritism, schedule was always changing, holiday time is a nightmare to work. You get the sense your very disposable. Very limited room for advancement, you have to be favored to get offered decent positions. Store HR is very considerate and flexible however.

Advice to Management

Learn what employee care is, encourage advancement to get entry-level workers something to strive for. Get with the changing times, it's not 1991 anymore!